Kessil

Ecotech Battery Backup

During the cycle, am getting a bit more time staring at an empty fish tank. On the positive I get to take a closer look at all the equipment. Today when I was cleaning my MP40s', I noticed a warm rubber smell. It didn't smell burnt or anything like that but just a slight smell of rubber which was unusual. After checking the equipment, I noticed my Ecotech Backup battery was hot. I never remembered it being so hot to the touch, I've always remembered it always being cool.

For now, it's unplugged. Anyone have Ecotech Battery that runs hot?

thanks

During the cycle, am getting a bit more time staring at an empty fish tank. On the positive I get to take a closer look at all the equipment. Today when I was cleaning my MP40s', I noticed a warm rubber smell. It didn't smell burnt or anything like that but just a slight smell of rubber which was unusual. After checking the equipment, I noticed my Ecotech Backup battery was hot. I never remembered it being so hot to the touch, I've always remembered it always being cool.

For now, it's unplugged. Anyone have Ecotech Battery that runs hot?

thanks
No, but burning and heat mean current is flowing somewhere. I would follow up with ecotech because they may want it back to see what broke. If they don't hold up the warranty, we have another fun conversation about taking it apart and fixing it.

Update:

Ecotech Support says its completely normal.

From Support:
"That is normal, that will get rather warm to the touch. With the trickle charge, it won't be off too often as once it detects the battery isn't at 100% it will start charging again."

If you have or can get your hands on a voltage meter you can test it that way to see if the battery is still good. Since it was in storage for two years, the batteries in the unit probably completely drained out…not a good thing. You can replace just the batteries inside the unit if they are bad. Just remove the cover and see what’s in there. I believe there are two that would need to be replaced…shouldn’t cost too much.

Thanks guys! I just searched up on Youtube about Ecotech battery backup. I have to say, I am surprised as what is in the metal box compared to the price I paid for it.

Its fairly easy to swap out battery. There are videos on how to do. Battery can be bought on Amazon. Just one battery to replace. Only way to tell if battery is bad is to see if can hold a charge with battery tester.
ya I swapped mine out a while ago. Telegram asked me to go on his stream to talk about it but we had family stuff going on. Takes about 10 minutes if you're even remotely passable w/ a soldering iron

ya I swapped mine out a while ago. Telegram asked me to go on his stream to talk about it but we had family stuff going on. Takes about 10 minutes if you're even remotely passable w/ a soldering iron
I just swapped two of mine. I had older battery back ups, did not have to use a soldering iron. It did take some time to drill out the rivets.

I just swapped two of mine. I had older battery back ups, did not have to use a soldering iron. It did take some time to drill out the rivets.
I just got another one from a member here last week. I'll be swapping that one out as soon as I can =)

Thanks guys! I just searched up on Youtube about Ecotech battery backup. I have to say, I am surprised as what is in the metal box compared to the price I paid for it.
A lot better than not having an easy inexpensive way to get a new battery

Last edited:
Ya. I wired 2 of these in series. Two fit in the echotech case with a tiny bit of room to spare.

12V 8Ah Deep Cycle LiFePO4 Battery, 2000 Cycles Miady LFP8AH Rechargeable Battery, Maintenance-Free Battery for Fios, Power Wheels, Solar System, UPS and More https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07X5G2FF...abc_K4V6VTGMMQJ99EQVB53B?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
If you do 2 x 12V in series, that outputs 24V, correct? Did you mean in parallel? Are you trying to run the ecotech pumps directly, without their adapter cable? I like the idea of this because the adapter cable does tend to go out on me a few times a year. I thought the batteries put out 12V, and my google fu tells me yes.

If you do 2 x 12V in series, that outputs 24V, correct? Did you mean in parallel? Are you trying to run the ecotech pumps directly, without their adapter cable? I like the idea of this because the adapter cable does tend to go out on me a few times a year. I thought the batteries put out 12V, and my google fu tells me yes.
Oops. I meant parallel. I’ll correct my post. Thanks for catching that!

Back