Reef nutrition

Egg crate holders

max_nano

Supporting Member
What are you using to hold up egg crate? I am trying to lift my egg crate up in my frag tank and was wondering if anyone had any good ideas for an easy way to elevate egg crate? I want to life some portions an inch and others about 3-4”

my plan is to take pvc pipe and cut the top to let the egg crate sit in the slits, but I’m open to other ideas

RandyC

Supporting Member
I used pvc pipe and cut slits for the crate to slide into and then superglued them. If you want 3d printed legs, a guy out of Sacramento makes them.

(scroll down page to eggcrate legs)

max_nano

Supporting Member
I used pvc pipe and cut slits for the crate to slide into and then superglued them. If you want 3d printed legs, a guy out of Sacramento makes them.

(scroll down page to eggcrate legs)
those are nice. I might go this route since I was looking to get shroom boxes, although the deli container I cut up is working well too.

I used smaller pieces of egg crate and zip ties.
I will try this, I have some good scrap pieces to use.

Why use anything at all? I use tiles and put them flat on the bottom...
I will do that for most pieces, but I want to be able to lift some pieces up a couple of inches for more light, and I want to have my egg crate up just a half to 1” in hopes that the flow will centralize the detritus so I can just siphon one area instead of having crap stuck in each slot. before I added the egg crate to half the tank I was able to see the rouge sand all piling up in one area which would make cleaning easier

ashburn2k

Supporting Member
You def would want to lift it up, you don’t want any food or junk settle in the slots to fuel food for GHA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Coral reefer

BOD
Staff member
I use location (proximity to hot spot of lighting) to control extra light for certain corals rather than height. To each their own.

JVU

BOD
Staff member
I cut 1-hole squares out of the egg crate and superglue 1 or 2 of these on the underside of the holes in the 4 corners depending on the height I want. You could do more if you want it higher. Works well, easy, looks good.