Kessil

Electrical Woes... and a 14 kw solar system

Well...it looks like I may finally take the plunge...something I shulda done years ago but wasn't convinced we were going to stay in our house. Anyway, we got a bid for a solar system. it's a 14kw system and 44 PV panels...pretty much covering the whole roof except where we already have pool solar. I'm glad the tax credit has been extended.
44? Which panels did you have in the bid?

The latest LG panels have the highest output when i did my research.

Well...it looks like I may finally take the plunge...something I shulda done years ago but wasn't convinced we were going to stay in our house. Anyway, we got a bid for a solar system. it's a 14kw system and 44 PV panels...pretty much covering the whole roof except where we already have pool solar. I'm glad the tax credit has been extended.
What is the woes part?

14kW holy cow that's a lot of panels. any battery systems to supplement you at night?

In not batteries now -- consider a battery compatible unit (if you don't go Tesla later).... about $2600 over the cost of a normal inverter versus a whole new inverter later should you ever decide to go battery.

Did you get a quote from Tesla/Solar City for panels plus batteries? If I had to do it over again now I’d lean towards that route.

When I put my solar in, Solar City was a separate company and didn’t have high end panels at all, they couldn’t even tell you what kind of panels they would use, seemed like they just got whatever was cheapest from China that month. I needed high efficiency panels since my roof is all weird angles, and I wanted nicer looking black ones, so I went with SunPower.

When I got my batteries later it was no big deal that my original inverter wasn’t compatible, Tesla made it work.

How do you like that foam roof? Saw a couple companies pimping them out at various trade shows over the years, but wasn't quite sold on the durability of foam that's baking under UV rays for years on end.

How do you like that foam roof? Saw a couple companies pimping them out at various trade shows over the years, but wasn't quite sold on the durability of foam that's baking under UV rays for years on end.
Like it... works well to keep home insulated and super durable.

My roof was installed in 1982 and still holding strong. Only thing to do is every 10 years or need to get the roof inspected and resealed. At least that's what's recommended.

I've owned the house since 1996... still haven't had any work needed, despite not doing a recoat

better check now since there's more rain coming.
lol -- did a walk through when the panels were being installed. Roofers (different that installation company) looked through and said perfect condition as well.

BTW - the folks who installed out roof was DuraFoam. Found out they also do solar install too... Super nice and helpful when I spoke to them on the phone to get original installation details as part of the planning for my panels, even though they weren't the installers we were using for the latest job(s).

The bid is for Panasonic panels which are supposed to be higher efficiency. Diablo Solar is the company. They installed old school pool solar 10+y ago. Right now wasn’t thinking about batteries. Maybe I should. Curious if anyone has opinions about these guys?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@Wlachnit -- what you can look forward to... first bill post solar, and soon after batteries so not sure if it's even impacted the bill yet:

upload_2019-4-4_13-51-38-png.11628

Back