High Tide Aquatics

Emergency Backup power for your tank advices

Sorry if this has been discussed before.

I'm wondering what you are using as your tank's Emergency Backup power in case of no electricity (as we have quite a few this year). I currently have none and would like to get some equipment for that. Since reef tank is a huge investment, a total loss would force the reefer to get out of hobby.

I like the new Vortech with the battery backup unit, but it's hard to plunge ~$500 on the equipment.
Are APC Backup unit a good choice? I am only planning to backup the powerhead/pump. I figure with a total loss of electricity of 5 hours, I would rather have the powerhead running during those times instead of the skimmer, heater, and lighting. If I'm wrong, please correct me ;D

Please do share your suggestion and opinion. Many thanks in advance ;)

Funny I was thinking about that a couple days ago and found this tread on RC where they do not recommend a UPS and explain why:

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=4bec59029658db23a03cb2d7a2fa20d1&threadid=1512370

easiest solution is one of those battery powered air pumps, not very expensive, flips on whenever the power is cut.

However I've half-assed looked for a true sine wave inverter I could plug into my car, and I'll run my tank off that :D

I run UPS with one Koralia, my tank has survived several long power outages (coastside) without problems. Now I'm on the Tunnel grid so we don't loose power anymore ;)

before I got my vortech, I had a computer UPS running a single koralia. It was one that was at the top of the tank to facilitate greater O2 exchange. Net tank flow was lower, but the water had more O2 content this way.

I have actually used those rechargable portable emergency battery car starters with the plugs/lights/radio, etc. I have two, and ran 4 tanks for about 10 hours (could have gone much longer) when Hawaii had that big earthquake a few years ago. The quake tripped all the main breakers on all the islands causing statewide power outages. Not to mention shutdown of the airport. Needless to say, we keep our batteries plugged in at all times, just in case. Ours cost between $50-$80. Not bad for a little piece of mind.

I've run 2 maxijets on a standard computer UPS for a few hours before. It wasn't something that I went out and bought though, just something I had laying around. If you're going to spend money I'd go with a marine battery, inverter etc.

The bad thing on those portable batteries is that (at least I think), they require action to put them into use. with a UPS, power is maintained to the device if for example, you are at work.

Keep in mind though that some powerheads don't like to be run on square waves which are common on UPS. some ups are better at smoothing out a to a sine-ish wave.

I understand the downfalls of typical computer UPS. That's why I maintain that if you're going to buy something, get something that works the way you want it. If you have one laying around, then why not. This is based on the premise that since it should only be in effect once in a blue moon, it shouldn't affect pumps too much. Then again it would vary based on the size of the system. One MJ is plenty for my tank, but other tanks might need a lot more.

The portable batteries can be wired with a relay to trickle charge when there's power, and then switch to powering pumps when the power is out.

For more efficient use of power, use your backup battery to run air lifts instead of pumps and powerheads.

Takes very little energy to run an air pump, and you an get a lot of water movement with rigid air tubing and some pvc pipe.

[quote author=Gomer link=topic=5267.msg65242#msg65242 date=1227150114]
before I got my vortech, I had a computer UPS running a single koralia. It was one that was at the top of the tank to facilitate greater O2 exchange. Net tank flow was lower, but the water had more O2 content this way.
[/quote]

Just curious, did you measure the DO or where you just assuming it drove more DO into the water?

I've played around my my work DO meter in my tank and I didn't notice much more DO when I:
turned the skimmer back on
turned PH's back on
Aimed the PH at the surface

Now mind you I only did this for an hour and I have 1 fish (a snot load of coral though) :) I'll try longer soon :)

Eric B. did a DO study on skimmers and he found they really didn't add much DO :(

You won't see anything on a short time scale with nothing much to remove the O2. Most of the time, we are pretty saturated with O2.
I have no measurements but made the assumption based on gas transport mechanisms and the opposite effect we force in planted tanks (low surface movement to prevent CO2 outgasing...measure this plenty with CO2).

From how it was explained to me, it's a LOT easier to remove CO2 from water then DO :)

The tank lighting had been off for an hour prior to the tests, and I'd say my live coral bio-load far exceeds what most people keep in a system :) I have no place left uncovered with coral. Heck, most my tank walls have frag racks on them :) You'd be surprised at the coral bio-load :)

I'll measure how much my DO drops from lights out to an hour in and two hours in with no skimmer or PH's :) Next week though :D

Thank you for all of your advices. Like what Gomer said, the portable batteries pumps are usefull but they require manual work. I really wanted something that will be able to run by itself in case I am at work or out of town.

Alve: Thanks for the link. I remembered reading somewhere in reefcentral about using Tripplite as backup battery. You can get a good deal through Ebay. Which one are you planning to use for yours?

Seminolecpa: It's kind of tough to have a generator considering I live in a townhouse with limited space and no garage. Also, I will have to face the neighbors for the noise of the generator (even though I am part of the HOA's Board).

Sfsuphysics: Are you talking about the battery powered air pumps that functions both using electric (and when the electricity is off, it automatically uses the battery to run)?

Tuberider & Gomer: May I ask what kind of UPS you used? I am considering getting the APC BE750G from CircuitCity in my area since it is closing down, so there is some discount.

Mr. Ugly: Sorry for the noob question, but what do you mean when you said "use your backup battery to run air lifts with rigid air tubing and some pvc pipe?

Also, does anyone every uses the Tripp Lite APS backup? I want to ask if it produces a lot of noises with the fans (front and back) and the efficiency of the unit.

Many tanks.
Rudy

Rudy, I have no idea about what to use yet. I have a generator as a back up during power outages and I have two air pumps that operate on D batteries but after seeing what Arnold went through in a relatively short amount of time being out of power I realize that a generator and battery operated air pumps do no good when I am at work all day and power goes out in the morning.

So I will be following along with this tread and see what other people come up with. I did read about those airpumps Mike mentioned that are plugged in and start automatically when the power goes out and like that idea.

I think I will be ordering a couple of those, would make me feel a lot better when power goes out while I am at work. Thanks for the link Mike!

[quote author=jellygeee link=topic=5267.msg65347#msg65347 date=1227209400]Mr. Ugly: Sorry for the noob question, but what do you mean when you said "use your backup battery to run air lifts with rigid air tubing and some pvc pipe?[/quote]

Do something like this. Longer pipe will get you more water movement.

http://www.hawkfish.org/snailman/diyairlift.htm

Back