Jestersix

Emergency, flooding, need parts asap.

I'm on a roll.

I recently lost most of my sps to a stupid mistake. After letting the tank recover for six months, I decided to tune it up. Tonight, I managed to really tune it up great.

I broke a bulkhead underneath my sandbed. As to why there are bulkheads underneath my sandbed that could potentially drain my tank dry, see my build thread for this tank: http://www.bareefers.org/forum/threads/anathemas-120g-rebuild.12351/

Currently, water is trickling from the bottom of my tank, into a ziploc bag that has the corner cut out, and into the sump. I'm not sure how long I'l be able to trust that setup. :(

So, I need to fix this ASAP or tear down the tank ASAP.

I need some parts, and I just got back from Home Depot where it appears they don't have any of the parts I used to build the crazy manifold for the closed loop.

I need: (2) 3/4" bulkheads, (2) 1" bulkheads. Prefer the heaviest I can find. I once held a super heavy gray bulkhead in my hand and wished I had a source for them, but all I've ever been able to find locally is the flimsy ones 6th Ave has. I'm not sure I want to go through the hassle of replacing these without finding better ones.

I also need some aragonite sand, if there's any around. I know sandbeds went out of style years ago, but I'm hoping someone has some kicking around.

Also I'm open to advice on how to replumb the manifold with soft parts so it's not such a rigid (and prone to cracking, apparently) setup.

I'm also toying with the option of draining the tank and siliconing over the holes and just removing the closed loop. A bit of a chore under the sandbed, and I'd feel more comfortable putting fresh sand in to replace what I remove. Except I have no more sand, and I haven't been frequenting reef stores like I used to and don't know where to buy any locally, or if I even can anymore.

Any advice and sources of parts are appreciated. I'd really love to find a place local that will sell me heavy bulkheads, tomorrow.

Holy cow thats a mess. Umm youre looking for schedule 80 pvc parts (bulkheads unions valves etc). Those are the gray parts.

I would call up all the local reef stores and see where you can get that part.

I have a 3/4 bulkhead but its the normal black one.

Sandbeds are still very much popular. You can get them at most reef stores. Cali reef co in fremont has a diversity of sand types.

If this was less urgent i would suggest buying heavy duty schedule 80 bulkheads from bulkreefsupply.com

I could pitch in and help pay for fast shipping.

Thanks. I'll check out bulkreefsupply. Possibly I might have to ship I guess. I appreciate the financial help offer, but I'm ok. I just need to figure out the quickest place to buy the stuff and I appreciate any information.

Hmm thanks.

I don't see slip/slip schedule 80, but that's probably why I used what I did when I put it together. Maybe it's worth switching to threaded.

Well now that I've ordered these, stupid question:

Are the holes the same diameter? I mean the holes drilled in the glass. I might be able to swap some bulkheads without removing everything but if I have to slightly expand holes that's one heck of a project...

I have one smaller bag of sand. Probably not enough for you tho. Lemme know if you want it. Ewing irrigation over by candlestick should have most of the parts you want

Last edited:
How much you want for it? In any case, I'll buy it. It's probably workable, I'm formulating a plan to only pull out sand from the sections above what i'll be replacing.

As for the holes being the same diameter.

How big is the hole you drilled?

VS the size of the bulkheads.

Its been a while since i did plumbing. Does a 1 inch bulkhead fit a 1 inch hole? I don't think so.....I think you need a 1.25 inch hole to fit a 1 inch bulkhead. If I remember correctly? I could be wrong.

I recommend calling up the guys at either Neptune Aquatics, Diablo Corals, California Reef Co. They do a lot of tank set ups and can answer your questions on the spot.

Neptunes has a lot of staff soo you might not get the guy that knows a lot about plumbing on your first call. But if Robert picks up he can answer all your questions.

It would be faster than waiting for us to reply via forum messages.

Also watch out for all that detritus in your sandbed. Usually if you do remove the sand, use a vacuum siphon to suck out all the sand AND the detritus. If you stir up a dirty sandbed via scooping you're prone to causing an ammonia/nitrite spike.

Vhuang168, no. The bulkhead is cracked, I was tightening it because it was dripping slightly and apparently overtightened it and usually in that case they crack right at the seam between the flange where the gasket sits and the threaded body of the bulkhead. I won't know for sure what it looks like until I remove it, but at this point tightening the bulkhead results in the leak getting worse. Capping it off would do nothing to stop the leak, and the plumbing attached to the bulkhead doesn't leak either.

Thanks for the tips on the sandbed. I'm hoping to get away with only pulling out the sections of rockwork directly above the bulkheads, draining the tank, and only scooping out the sand directly above the bulkeads. Maybe shop vacc'ing it out with the tank drained. I'm hoping I can stick sheet plastic in around as a dam to hold back the surrounding sand, not sure how that will go.

I'd prefer not to remove the large center rock in my tank as it's grown together in an arch and I'd hate to break it up. In my experience that stuff never goes back together the way it came apart.

Are you near a Tractor Supply Co.? They were the one store within 75 miles or so that actually had the weird 3/4 MTP x 5/8th barb I needed. They have a fair shot of having bulkheads for you if you are closer to them than I am. You could also try Grainger Industrial, if they dont' have it on hand they could probably get it to you by tomorrow. Good luck!

I think down the road once you stabilize things, you should switch to another tank.

Having a bulkhead underneath a sandbed outside of an overflow box is a disaster waiting to happen. There are certain areas you can skimp money on but this type is not one of them.

Hey Gusty,

How much sand you need? I have some old sand from other members in buckets - just needs a rinsing. lmk you can my contact info

I think I've got parts covered. Thanks Mike for the half bag of sand, I found bulkheads at Urban Farmer after driving all over yesterday.Now for the disassembly...

bulkhead1.JPG
bulkhead2.JPG
bulkhead3.JPG
bulkhead4.JPG
bulkheadrescape.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks for the help all. It's all back together now. I'll hold my breath for a few days but I didn't see any leaks after filling it back up. I replaced all four bulkheads just to be safe.

The rockwork never goes back together the way they were. Kind of sad to bust it apart after it had grown together so well, but hopefully schedule 80 will be tougher.

Thanks, Enderturtle for the correct specification on the bulkheads so I could buy them (sorry I don't know your name to match your handle.), Mike, Theo, and Arnold. I really appreciate the offers of sand from all of you, Mike just happened to be the most convenient stop, and he hooked me up with the perfect amount.

Last edited:
Back