Cali Kid Corals

Euphyllia's 34 Gallon Red Sea Max

Current tank video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9pVZ7nb8Z4

Fish

- Spawning pair of Black Ocellaris Clownfish (Nemonia & Larangitis)
- Six-line Wrasse

Invertebrates

- Peppermint Shrimp
- Countless snails of many sorts
- Countless Red and Blue Leg Hermit Crabs
- Who knows whatever else is in there

Corals (Favorites are in italics)

- 8" Frogspawn
- 4" Hammer Coral
- 2" Frogspawn
- Giant colony of some sort of green zoas
- Large colony of Eagle Eye zoas
- Large colony of Ring of Fire zoas
- Medium colony of Green Bay Packers
- Medium colony of Dragon Eye zoas
- Two medium colonies of no-name zoas
- Small colony of Purple Hornet zoas
- Frag of Red Hornet Zoas

- Frag of Armor of God zoas
- Misc. frags of other zoas
- Two huge Hairy mushrooms
- Rainbow Rhodactis mushrooms

- Misc. mushrooms
- Anthellia

8" Frogspawn
10rpp39.jpg

4" Hammer Coral
ou2ln8.jpg

Green Bay Packer zoas (left); Ring of Fire zoas (Middle)
1opysh.jpg

Purple Hornet zoas (left); Red Hornet zoas (right)...
i1cf83.jpg

Rainbow Rhodactis mushrooms... (Much prettier in person!)
oqj4ia.jpg

Nemo
nia (male) and Lara
ngitis's (female) first spawning
141laf4.jpg

Nemo
nia (male) and Lara
ngitis (female) tending their eggs just hours before hatching
2mpxzzk.jpg

BTW, Once I have filled this tank with corals, I will be using my fragging equipment to frag most of it. So, if you have a coral/frag that will survive under 110 watts of light and you are willing to sell/give, then PM me and you will be first on the list for a second generation. I'm looking for Palys, atomic green polyps, or something that is pretty and easy to frag! :).

You might want to let your tank get setup and cycle properly before tossing corals in there at all. I know you were read the riot act with the fish stocking, but corals can be a bit more sensitive than fish.

[quote author=Euphyllia link=topic=5636.msg70711#msg70711 date=1229727197]
Since everybody has asked me to ask before I buy something, I've decided to ask. As you may know, I'm getting a 34gal for Christmas....{asking for advice}..Does that sound okay?[/quote]

The reply was:

[quote author=bookfish link=topic=5636.msg70759#msg70759 date=1229749537]I would recommend letting the rock and sand settle in for about 2 months. Then, if all is good, begin planning a community of fish, inverts and coral (on paper!). Knowing the whole community you intend to put together will help you plan the stocking order correctly and ensure that you don't rule out a desired species with an inappropriate acquisition. Plan on 1 year to finish the community. HTH.-Jim
[/quote]

[quote author=fishnfst link=topic=5636.msg70782#msg70782 date=1229756968]
+ 1,000,000,000,000,000 This is exceptional advice from a seasoned pro :)
[/quote]

[quote author=bookfish link=topic=5636.msg70823#msg70823 date=1229793670]
And I'd stock in this fashion:
Month 3-first fish addition-cardinal trio
Month 4-jawfish
Month 5- possum wrasse
Month 6- clown pair
My advice tends to be conservative but people that take the conservative route tend to do better in this hobby in the long run.
[/quote]

[quote author=Roc link=topic=5636.msg70849#msg70849 date=1229797560]
[quote author=bookfish link=topic=5636.msg70759#msg70759 date=1229749537]
I would recommend letting the rock and sand settle in for about 2 months. Then, if all is good, begin planning a community of fish, inverts and coral (on paper!). Knowing the whole community you intend to put together will help you plan the stocking order correctly and ensure that you don't rule out a desired species with an inappropriate acquisition. Plan on 1 year to finish the community. HTH.-Jim
[/quote]

Bumping because the OP hasn't read this enough or he wouldn't still be dicussing his stocking before he even owns the tank..........................

[/quote]

And your reply
[quote author=Euphyllia link=topic=5636.msg70967#msg70967 date=1229878454]
Okay. That sounds like some good advice. I'll let you guys know how it is going in a couple of months.
[/quote]

[quote author=Euphyllia link=topic=5720.msg71601#msg71601 date=1230335757]
I got the aquarium, put it together. The male is swimming around her in weird ways (sideways, upside down, backwards) and I hope they are mating (or dying). They aren't fighting (which means they are paired up and are probably just mating) (or dying). That's about it... I'll post more if my clowns do anything interesting like lay eggs, die, or something like that. But I don't think they are dieing (but they likey are dying). So... Ya, that's about it... ok... bye now.
[/quote]

[size=14pt]BAR seeks to promote, foster and encourage education and appreciation for the ethical husbandry and propagation of marine life[/size]

??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
:- :- :- :- :- :- :- :-
:-X :-X :-X :-X
:'( :'( :'( :'(

Oh, I meant my clowns that are in the 14gallon. There is nothing exciting in the 34. I put some shells I found on Kauai in there (there is nothing in them)...

Euphyllia, have you noticed how many responses you get in every thread you start that use the terms SLOW DOWN, or DO YOUR RESEARCH FRIST. I ask because it seems to never take effect on you and I wonder why you start so many threads/tanks and ask for advice but seemingly NEVER lissen to anything that your told..................

In another thread he said he was going to wait until April to get an RBTA and other stuff. So I think he's listening. It's hard to be patient when you're young. Let's encourage him.

Not sure how young he is.. If he was the guy who carried a container labeled with Euphyllia at the BAYMAC, he's not young :D ..

Euphyllia, I'll make a deal with you. Take your time with this 34g tank. I mean really take your time. Keep us posted with a photo journal of your tank. Keep asking for advice and make this a great little nano. Before adding any fish or coral or snails etc, let us know how your tank is doing. If your journal shows that you have carefully planned and kept a healthy nano tank, I'll give you a couple of really nice corals for free for you to care for and grow out.

How does that sound? You up for the challenge?

i saw a older man and a teen with an Icebox with labeled Euphyllia on the last meeting.
Not sure who owns the tank.

either case, I'll throw in a couple of frags as well..

Ok, that sounds fine. I'll probably always have that cooler at the meetings... and I'm not the "old guy". I'm not who you would expect being at these meetings. I have nobody in my family who does SW aquariums.
Also, when should I add inverts? I have 3 pom-pom crabs I want to transfer over and would like to know when to put them in and buy some hermit crabs, shrimp, and snails.

Ok, so heres how things are gunna work...

month one - cycle
month two - cycle & inverts
month three - cardinals & coral
month four - clowns & anemone &coral
month five - coral & touch up details
month six - touch up details & coral

Also, I got A LOT of fragging stuff for Christmas. When I start receiving coral and moving coral from the 14gal, I will frag it... ALL

Maybe consider putting the anemone in first, let it wander around and find its sweet spot, then proceed to add coral afterwards.

You may also want to test for your cycle. Measure ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates. First ammonia should spike, then nitrites, then nitrates. Once ammonia and nitrites read zero your cycle is done.

Really? In my 14gal I cycled it in 1 & 1/2 weeks. It had zero on ammonia, nitrate, and nitrites. I'll let you guys know when it has finished cycling and then you can let me know wehn to bring in the cardinals.
And after I bring in the cardinals, how long should i wait until I put in my B&W Perculas?

I put 20 blue legs and 4 snails in it to eat the algae that was growing. It is gone now and I'm going to get a cleaner shrimp next weekend.

Thanks for the update. 20 blue legs seems like a lot though.
Would be cool if we had photos of the tank through the stages. It's a good record for you too to see how your tank started and how it develops.

Back