Kessil

Feeding tangs.

Srt4eric

Vice President
BOD
So I put nori on a little magnetic clip and the tangs loved it. I then bought an algae grazer and they haven't touched it. Should I give it time or is the one I bought just garbage. It's from IM

Screenshot_20210427-215040_Chrome.jpg

Personally, I don't even bother with a clip, I throw 1/4 sheets in at a time and let them go to town. If it gets stuck on the overflow, I throw it on the feeding ring. I guess some tangs might not figure it out, but all of mine do. Same with macro algae, I just throw it in and let it float where it does.

So I put nori on a little magnetic clip and the tangs loved it. I then bought an algae grazer and they haven't touched it. Should I give it time or is the one I bought just garbage. It's from IM

View attachment 26465
My tangs like this feeder. Maybe yours just need some time to figure it out. They also like the clips, but those are more likely to be torn off and go floating around.

In my experience, when sheets of nori are left to float around they get caught under a rock or in coral and become food for the CUC instead of the fish.

It can take them some time to figure it out. Mine came from John, and he fed them using a rock and a rubber band. They did not get the clip at first.

I rubberband it to a piece of rock. Haven’t tried the clip or feeder. My stupid tang only eat nori that is attached to rock. The loose piece that he tear out, will be floating in the tank forever until it get to the filter.

I’m alternating pellets and nori. Nori is a lot more messier.

That IM algae grazer is crap. I had one. The magnet on the inside will rust. Buy a roll of plastic mesh gutter guard and wrap it around a pvc fitting or use it with a clip. Not exactly sure what type of plastic it’s made out of, but it’s the same mesh Ocean Nutrition uses for their Grid Feeding Clips. Does not rust or corrode either according the the manufacturer.
44617EFA-0B23-44EA-A0C4-FD02A6E64120.jpeg

That IM algae grazer is crap. I had one. The magnet on the inside will rust. Buy a roll of plastic mesh gutter guard and wrap it around a pvc fitting or use it with a clip. Not exactly sure what type of plastic it’s made out of, but it’s the same mesh Ocean Nutrition uses for their Grid Feeding Clips. Does not rust or corrode either according the the manufacturer.
View attachment 26492
FYI IM made changes to the grazer to address the issue of the leakage into the magnets, and I haven’t had issues with it since.

My tang only pick on the pellets that sink to the glass bottom. He is a bottom feeder. Haha. Well half the pellets seems to drop on the rock and stuck at the crevices .

I bought a glass tube shrimp feeder. Works perfectly. Algae pellets goes to the feeder tube and in less than a day the tang knows to wait at the bottom of the tube for the food to drop.
I’m using hikari seaweed extreme. I’ll still give nori every other day.

I have made my feed list know in past threads
Variety and frequency are key
Your fish should be thick in stature...NO NY runway model thin!!
They need food, more than you think
Appetizers 5-6 times each day
With each feed a wide variety

I have made my feed list know in past threads
Variety and frequency are key
Your fish should be thick in stature...NO NY runway model thin!!
They need food, more than you think
Appetizers 5-6 times each day
With each feed a wide variety
What about the variety frozen foods (Rods / LRS Reef frenzy). Does that cover the variety part of it?

Back