Our mission

Filter Media Cup to Replace Socks

Yes, I moved away from filter socks and made my own filter cup. The water goes through filter media that I just toss out every couple of days. Much easier than trying to clean filter socks.

I don’t think this is an apples to apples type thing. Carbon/gfo in a cup isn’t the same as a sock. Am I misunderstanding?
I was thinking more of keeping the 1st sock and the 2nd use some kind of media. I feel you still need to catch junk in the 1st. Just wondering if anyone is doing this at all.

I use the Red Sea cup made for their reefer tanks and I love being able to toss out a bit of filter floss instead of rinsing socks. I keep a bag of carbon under the floss at the bottom of the cup.

I use the Red Sea cup made for their reefer tanks and I love being able to toss out a bit of filter floss instead of rinsing socks. I keep a bag of carbon under the floss at the bottom of the cup.
So, you are using 2 cups and both have carbon at the bottom of the filter floss?

So, you are using 2 cups and both have carbon at the bottom of the filter floss?
I have the Red Sea 170 so only has one cup. Keep a small bag of carbon in the bottom with floss on top. FYI the floss can work itself under the carbon and you have a source of nitrates but just keep it clear.

I have four filter socks and I’m about to switch to cups full of coral rubble and a piece of poly pad on top, which I’ll replace every so often.
So would you replace the rubble or rinse for reuse? How often you replace? Every 2 - 3 weeks, 3 months, etc.?

I have to replace my socks at least once every two weeks. It's cleaning them that is tiresome.

Right now, I have not touched my filter socks in two months. My nutrients are low, so there’s no motivation to clean the socks. I plan on leaving the rubble alone - to become a home for bacteria and pods.

Right now, I have not touched my filter socks in two months. My nutrients are low, so there’s no motivation to clean the socks. I plan on leaving the rubble alone - to become a home for bacteria and pods.
Are you just going to add the coral rubble straight into the filter cup without a media bag?

Back