Cali Kid Corals

Finger numb after brushing up against zoa?

Save me the "wear gloves, doofus" advice... I've learned my lesson.

The tip of my thumb where I (might) have touched a Zoa (tub's blues, if it matters) is slightly tingly. I think it felt like that within a few minutes. No open wounds. I don't know whether it is placebo/overthinking/overreacting or if I've got a hospital visit in my near future. Any thoughts, experiences? Please lend me some wisdom here as I'm kinda freaking out.

WEAR GLOVES! :)

Just ensure you properly clean and scrub your hands
Regular zoos aren't that bad as long as you don't have
True Palythoas which can do major damage

I'm still alive and by all indications if it was Palytoxin, I'd be good and dead by now. Probably just a bristleworm or some allergic reaction, but it did stress me out there for a few minutes (mostly the thought of a bill for an ER visit).

Tamazula said:
I'm still alive and by all indications if it was Palytoxin, I'd be good and dead by now. Probably just a bristleworm or some allergic reaction, but it did stress me out there for a few minutes (mostly the thought of a bill for an ER visit).
sorry but that is wrong. Contact DOES NOT = death. I would have been dead years ago if so.

650-IS350 said:
Just ensure you properly clean and scrub your hands
Regular zoos aren't that bad as long as you don't have
True Palythoas which can do major damage
The SF Zoo sure was bad until they fixef it. Sorry, huge pet peeve... zoa zoa zoanthid....

Zoa's can be just as deadly. Peoples sensitivities to the palytoxin differ. Most worst cases have been with epizoanthids and they are reported as being the least worry.

Er, I wasn't really suggesting it was palytoxin in my last post (that was more of a joke).

Originally I was just not sure what the symptoms meant. Tingling, numbness, lightheaded... so I asked if anyone else had any similar experience. True, all the reading I've done so far also indicates that simple contact, especially without an open wound, wouldn't transmit the toxin (if it was even present in this specimen, and in large enough amounts to be a problem).

That said, I've had my hands in my tank countless times and this was the first time I had any tingling/numbness/etc occur so it simply caught me off-guard.

Most important thing Vic is if you feel something is not right, get some attention; this is an AMAZING club and thanks to the advise I received here, doctors acted fast on the issue.

Back