Our mission

Finiky Tubastrea

I picked up a Tubastrea coral today, and it is no in good shape. I believe the feelers are missing, or are receded and will not extend to feed. I store at which I got it from said he had been trying to feed it mysis for the last couple of days but no feelers. So now it is my turn to nurse it back to life. What other food would you recommend?

Can you get a photograph? Is it the pinkish/orangish body or yellowish body variety? I have both and the pink/orange one is less free to open and feed. Are you checking it in the middle of the night? You may have to feed it when it is open at first to then encourage it to open sooner. My tubs will open at 6:00pm now that they know I fill the water then. I feed cyclop-eze, and at night put in some oyster feast. Not sure they take it up, but that is what I feed. If I can get a mysis to them I do that every couple weeks or so.

Orange body. I just got it today, I will try and check on it later tonight after the lights have been out for a while to see it opens up any,

I got something like this, I thought mine were dendros but they looks like Tubastrea coral now that I look at the pictures. I waited till the mouth was open then used a sharp chopstick to shove a small mysis in there daily. Check out my tank Journal for some pics. Eventually got grew their feelers back.

Checked on it at 1am this morning and found the feelers extend and looking for food. It just needs to be trained to open when lights are on. The feelers were still extended this morning when I went to leave for work, but when I turned the lights on in the living room it closed up in a matter of minutes.

Once mine got their feelers back I've been working on getting mine to open during the day also. First you gotta turn off the flow, for the ones facing up you can leave a mysis on the mouth and they'll open up to eat it after 2-3 mins. for the more angled ones they'll open up tiny feelers when they smell the food on the other ones, and if you can attach some food to those tiny feelers then they'll open up to eat it. You got to pick a time of day to do it every day/other day but they'll eventually get the point. currently mine send out tiny feelers during the afternoon, but still don't open full bloom.

How long does it take to train them to open during the day? I've had my sun coral for 2 weeks now and it only comes out at night. I've been training it to come out for feeding time around 6PM and no luck.

They do not open fully at 6:00, but they know food is going in the water so thy start to feed. I do not feed the fish in the morning so it is the only time food is presented. I do not remember them being closed up for long at all. I used to feed them am too, but the nutrient levels in the tank were getting too high. By daylight both are closed.

Yeah mine don't fully open but they send out little feelers that I can attach food to. Once they feel the food they hold on to it until they wake up 3-5 mins later.

Coral do not have feelers folks :) Fish do, but not corals ;)

Tentacles... not testicles :lol:

feelers is meaningless though in the context of coral anatomy. Totally different function then coral tentacles :) Whiskers are feelers. Cat, dogs, fish, etc.

Mine always were open, day or night, when I kept them in lower light and with good flow. IMO flow is key with them, like most corals.

Back