Kessil

Forum Contest: Flaming Zebra Zoa Grow-out Contest - TRACKING

This is where we will track the contestants growths for the Flaming Zebra Zoa Grow-out Contest from Neptune Aquatics.

Contestants you must upload your pictures here!

The registration thread can be found here.

Untitled.png

We have our Winners!
First Place is @muhli with a final count of 8 Polyps

Second Place is @Vhuang168 with a final count of 6 Polyps

Third Place is @Ahruk with a final count of 5 Polyps

I will be PMing you 3 regarding which prize you want.
Rules:
  • You must post 1 decent picture of your frag by the last day of each month (example July 31) or you will be disqualified.
    • Avoid taking pictures like this one.
    • A picture is not required for June.
  • The 3 people with the most polyps at the end of the contest will win a prize.
  • If we end up with a tie, a coin will be flipped to determine who has priority.
  • The BOD reserves the right to change these rules at any time.
THREE Prizes
  1. Legendary Corals Mystery Zoa Pack (Valued at 100$)
  2. A 20$ Gift Card to any of BAR's Local Fish Store Sponsor (You choose which one).
  3. Single Polyp Zoa Frag Pack from my collection: Emeralds on Fire, Pink Hippos, Gold Mauls.

Last edited:
Thanks for the kind words, guys. There's no accounting for the next setback in a reef tank - so we'll see. I bet our new Flame Angel will eat all of my growout frags and leave everything else alone ;-) Here's hoping I can keep the coral and the fish well fed.

Thanks for the kind words, guys. There's no accounting for the next setback in a reef tank - so we'll see. I bet our new Flame Angel will eat all of my growout frags and leave everything else alone ;-) Here's hoping I can keep the coral and the fish well fed.

Nice Growth!

Any chance you could give us tank shot and show where you are positioning the frag?

This is from a week ago:

2015-06-06%2013.45.01.jpg

There are two zoa frags on frag plugs on the sandbed in the little grotto of rock on the left side (just to the right of the orange plate coral and right of the acan on the rock). I started the flaming zebra on the sand in a shaded area where the rockwork overhangs.

I just moved it out from under the shade to the left, closer to the front/left corner of the tank.

This portion of the tank has a Kessil A350W centered over it, so about a foot behind these frags and 24" or so above. Tank is 36"x24"x24" with three kessils, wide, narrow, and then wide. SPS are about 12" high on the rockwork under bright, narrow kessil. Zoas and low light LPS are on the edges of the tank under wide Kessils. Lights run at full power from 12pm to 8pm every day.

Unfortunately, I'm out. In my attempt to re-frag my one polyp, I ripped it in half and glued it to the plug. It remained on the plug for a few days or a week but after that, it seemed to have detached or was removed by my cleaner shrimp. -_-

I finally mounted the colony of zoas today, very carefully. Given the problems other folks have, I opted to chop up the frag plug around the colony and glue the plug down on a rock with another large zoa colony. You can see the three new polyps better now that they've grown more in addition to the main original.

2015-06-20%2015.36.27.jpg

Larger shot of the tiny colony on the rock, in context:

2015-06-20%2015.36.13.jpg

Hopefully, it's far enough away from that Miami Stunner not to get stung.

:'( So sad I didn't see this sooner, would love to have one of those sexy little guys. Hopefully they take off for someone and we can work out a trade for a few p after this is over.

Bad picture but good growth.

I'll get a better camera next time. And better lights

Attachments

• IMG_3300.JPG
    IMG_3300.JPG
    54.6 KB · Views: 441
Back