High Tide Aquatics

fragging toxins?

When fragging, corals often slime and other stuff. Is this release "toxic" to other corals? aside from general tank polluting, is it of any concern?

Toxicity is more of a concern for leathers.

In general, I like to frag out of the tank, then clean and deslime the frags really well before putting them back.

I knew about leathers being toxic to open brains, but that was it. Are they generally bad for SPS/LPS tanks fragged and unfragged? I have some toadstools that I like, but I like LPS better...

i removed all the leathers from my tank with an exception of a kenya. After doing some reading it turns out leathers secrete toxins that can inhibit growth of SPS..ive seen it done (mixing leathers w/ sps) but the people i know doing it run carbon regularly

Oh oh! Lets play 20 questions! Can you guess who is going to frag his leathers and start up a DBTC thread on them soon and sell the remaining ones? It is really tough so think hard!

Damn it! I woke up this morning and it seems that some demon came into my house while I was sleeping, and diced up my toadstools with a razor blade and mounted them all on fragplugs!!!!

I've had two toadstools for months with no growth at all. Still struggling with no3, but everything else seems ok. no3 around 35. Ideas? Other than the obvious, get no3 down. i guess i'll try azno3.Would that level of nitrate stunt everything in the tank? Sorry to hijack your thread.

Did you run carbon or have a skimmer going then? I try and do my fragging outside of the tank where I can flush off the sliming bad stuff

I do have skimmer running but no carbon.
I also did huge water change after it and had uncalibrated refractometer.
I'll post about this one day, too busy getting dead coral out my tank right now ;-(

What about Zoanthids and button polyps? I know they are toxin too, but how do you prevent from getting sick from it during fragging? how do you frag a zoanthids when they are toxin?

For that nasty palytoxins, I would advise latex gloves (or poly if you're allergic), eye protection that is worn by chemists (i.e. not just hard polycarbonate glasses for the workshop), and the last bit might be overkill but I like something over my mouth as well in case of squirting.

I have always heard to frag zoas in a separate container of tank water, or just in open air (my preferred method... lazy :D ). I have also talked to people who say if u get the zoo goo in an open wound it can be major problems (even rumored death in some cases), and know a guy who rubbed his eyes after fragging and his eye was enflamed for about 2 weeks. Wash your hands and be conscious!

...but I still just pull the colony/frag out of the water, knife it off, and stick it where i want with a cap for no flow. Then wash hands... a few times...

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger!!!

I keep both sps and leathers in the same tank. Never had a problem and I've cut the leathers in the tank for fragging. Of course I do 20% weekly water changes...

Back