Reef nutrition

Fritz salt help!!!

Srt4eric

Vice President
BOD
So a couple hours ago I dumped 20 cups into 40 gallons of water. Fritz says 1/2 cup per gallon. I go to check salinity and my hanna says 2.3 ppt. I was slightly confused by this so I dip the hanna into my frag tank. Sure enough 35ppt on the nose. Check my mix again and it's 2.3. Check with my refractometer and it's barely showing above 1.000. What the eff is going on here?

Weird. What the temp in the new salt water? Cold water decease the salinity but I cannot believe it’s by so much.

Are you sure you are using the proper ‘cup’? And is the water well mixed? Also check for alk, I have another person says fritz gives him high alk at 13

It's all mixed and it's the same cup that I mixed the last 55lb box with. This is a brand new box I just bought today.

20210417_203316.jpg

So a couple hours ago I dumped 20 cups into 40 gallons of water. Fritz says 1/2 cup per gallon. I go to check salinity and my hanna says 2.3 ppt. I was slightly confused by this so I dip the hanna into my frag tank. Sure enough 35ppt on the nose. Check my mix again and it's 2.3. Check with my refractometer and it's barely showing above 1.000. What the eff is going on here?
That is super strange, I never had any problem with fritz, been using blue box from the start. Never seem that before, 20 cups and no salinity.
Following...

maybe just the NaCl salt that's missing. there's gotta be like 10(maybe 100?) other salts that make up sea water
I can’t find the answer on Google. Is refractometer only measure how much NaCI salt dissolved in water and not other salt?

If that’s true, I find that very odd.

Last edited:
I can’t find the answer on Google. Is refractometer only measure how much NaCI salt dissolved in water and not other salt?

If that’s true, I find that very odd.
I think all salts affect salinity. You're right though, the question remains what those 20-30 lbs of "salt" really are.

Honestly I’ve had good results with instant ocean original. My only complaint has been it’s a little low on magnesium.

With that said this time around I tried “Red Sea blue” because it supposedly has more magnesium in it. I have no idea until I mix it up and see.

Back