Reef nutrition

Fungia Propogation

So after reading , looking at Eric's (Ibn) post and Kraylen's saw technique I'm thinking about sawing up my 6" purple plate. Just need a couple questions answered before I take the plunge.

- Cut the guy into squares? Is the mouth needed? Looking at the Reefkeeping article I would guess no. I'm gonna try to cut it up into 9 pieces
- Do I need to glue this guy onto frag plugs or can I put it in the frag rack and let it heal? I take it I should not put it on the sand or any high flow areas?
- Revive dip and baste ok after cutting?
- Would anybody be interested in any healed plates?
- Any more advice before I cut him up would be greatly appreciated.

There are 18 Fungia species.....

concinna
corona
danai
fralinae
fungites
granulosa
horrida
klunzingeri
moluccensis
paumotensis
puishani
repanda
scabra
scruposa
scutaria
seychellensis
spinifer
taiwanensis

That is not to mention there is the genus Cycloseris of which is a "plate" coral as well...
there's 11 of them listed....
colini
costulata
curvata
cyclolites
erosa
hexagonalis
patelliformis
sinensis
somervillei
tenuis
vaughani

Only place I know of online to get decent ID of *some* of these is on Jake Adams www.CORALidea.com

HA that is a new one on my Jess... and I'm gonna steal it to use later on :lol:

eldiablosrt8 said:
that plate is like a bad stripper one side bigger than the other, LOL

It's round. It's just not flat because my sand is all hilly. Also he's at least 6" big so you can easily see the way he's bent. :D

Don't wanna know anything bout bad strippers. :bigsmile:

i see models at shows that are lopsided like that all the time, i just call them strippers..

btw, that plate is huge and i likey if you do cut it up let me know

My purple Cyclo popped off babies from a damaged section for a while until it healed up, I often wonder what would happen if I took a fork to it and scratched the hell out of a little section.

tuberider said:
My purple Cyclo popped off babies from a damaged section for a while until it healed up, I often wonder what would happen if I took a fork to it and scratched the hell out of a little section.

This is the reason that I want to get like a 6 pack of plates one day... experiments....

I miss being a wholesaler... I used to bring home all that stuff :(

Retail I miss not so much, although helping people get started and watching them progress is very rewarding :D And having a line of people that refuse to let anyone but you help them is also cool.

Back