Jestersix

Fungiid Propagation Experiments

Mr. Ugly

Past President
Place holder for an idea that's been bouncing around for a few years.

If you are interested in doing some cool propagation experiments with fungiids, join the team here :D

Some reading to start you off.

Info on regeneration in fungiids.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rls=com.microsoft%3Aen-us&q=fungia+regeneration+&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=

Fungiid info from Wet Web Media.
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/fungiidae.htm

Ok... editing this post to include an index to fungiid related stuff.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Eric's experiment.
http://www.bareefers.org/home/node/9738

I have fragged fungia before. Just cut it to 4 pieces. All of them survived and grew for 1/2 year. Later I gave 2 away during a swap/trade and 2 more to a friend coz I was moving my tank (stupid fumigation).

Those fungia I had came from 2007(?) Bar frag swap and were on a large rock and each were 1/2 to 1/4 inch.
Eventually they grew to 3-4 in - mainly (I think) due to direct feeding every 2-3 days. I was giving them some Rod's food and chopped raw shrimp.

I'd love to try same experiment on a more scientific basis ;-)

p.s. I hope my Alk issues are behind me.

zepplock said:
I have fragged fungia before. Just cut it to 4 pieces.

Cutting works well.

I was hoping to get some people to try some other methods.

One being to generate babies from the tissue left when a plate detaches from its substrate.

It would be interesting to develop some effective methods based on that characteristic.

I've also found that damaged plates spit off babies, I have a purple Cycloseris with a few babies on it that I rescued a while back, the pups are almost ready to be popped off. After that I'm imagining that more pups will follow from the same damage point, you guys will know when you see the DBTC post :D

Another method I'd like to try is to remove a narrow strip of tissue from the upper surface.

I saw some research where the tissue was put on some culture media and it reorganized into a circular ball and formed a mouth.

Would be interesting to try something similar. Also wondering if a large enough piece of tissue could do ok without culture media. Might be able to absorb part of itself in order to heal and regenerate.

Also, the plate can heal over where the strip was removed. Or if it doesn't, it can produce babies from the damaged area like in the wild.

Also would be interesting to try similar stuff with lps that tend to do polyp bailout.

Wondering if a partial polyp can recover. And if so, how much tissue is necessary. And which lps can do this.

Yah... trying to see if we can get away from lopsided sawed frags :D

Considering I've taken LPS bailouts and had them recruit without any media, we really don't know what's possible. AFA culture media, what type are you referring to?

Need to find the article.

Some kind of gel with nutrients, electrolytes, and whatever that they put in culture dishes.

Should be among the papers in the first link of the first post.

Mr. Ugly said:
zepplock said:
I have fragged fungia before. Just cut it to 4 pieces.

Cutting works well.

I was hoping to get some people to try some other methods.

One being to generate babies from the tissue left when a plate detaches from its substrate.

It would be interesting to develop some effective methods based on that characteristic.

Yeah, I had that too. Originally I glues fungia to rock and it detached. I think keeping it suspended will entice it to leave a baby and jump ;-)

Brondo! that will work.

On a serious note, i have never seen a Fungia drop a baby off, Do you have to damage it to get it to start?

Contributing!

ebaypicfung.JPG

DSCF1146.JPG

DSCF1147.JPG

DSCF1148.JPG

DSCF1149.JPG

screened it off so nothing would try to eat the random flesh on glue treat.

Back