Jestersix

GE Vio LED

http://www.lumination.com/product.php?id=56

This is a whole different game compared to the usual LEDs you are used to. I can't see the current incarnation being useful at all for a Tank with SPS, but for an LPS or softie tank....

Team it up with a royal blue cree in 1:1 using the 85 CRI/4100K and I think you may have solved the reef color rendering problem.

no doubt, but there are some solutions there for the DIYer. They weren't designed with optics in mind. They are meant as Incandescent replacements.

Hmm I needed to re-read that I saw ooh 405nm sweet... then realized dur... it's going to basically be an LED driven fluorescent bulb. However that 45 lumens per watt doesn't sound terribly exciting... but then again I seem to remember a lumen is some funky measurement that's a function of angle.

lumens is a function of wavelength. green photons give more lumens than blue or red (eye sensitivity curve). Since these lights have spikes on the extreme ends of the spectrum, their lumen efficiency blows, but their PAR value may not.

that's right! It's very wavelength specific (biased towards the color receptors of the human eye IIRC), it's candela that's a crazy one that depends upon the angle at which the light is shining out. I just remembered because early LEDs used mcd as their unit to say how bright it was.

Yeah something like that, which is why I was thinking "oh maybe that low lumen rate isn't THAT bad since it's 180°"... werps!

Damnit I need to order some and get my project started before my halide goes onto month 14 :D

Back