Reef nutrition

Getting back into reefing, where have the east bay lfs gone?

I am getting back into reefkeeping after 10 years off. I am out in the Brentwood area, I used to go almost exclusively 2 lfs that were pretty well stocked, one in Dublin, the other in Concord, both less then 45 min drive. They are both gone now . Just finding some easy softies to get my feet wet again has become quite the challenge. I guess Neptune is still around but a bit of a drive. Anything other shops around that I could check out?

Aquarium Concepts in Dublin had an electrical fire a couple years back and unfortunately never re-opened. There's SJReef in Dublin which is a smaller shop that I get most of my supplies from (food, salt, misc test kits or chemicals). In Concord you have CaliKid Corals which specializes more in higher end stuff.

All About Fish in Pleasant Hill closed a few months ago when the owner retired.

There was a place in Brentwood I forget the name of that closed a few years ago, don’t know the story.

As far as what’s still around in the East Bay from North to South (most already mentioned)-

Diablo Corals in Concord
Cali Kid Corals in Concord
Aquatic Collection in Hayward
California Reef in Newark

Multiple options in South Bay, you mentioned Neptune Aquatics in SJ already.

Connie’s aquarium in Castro Valley turned into a pond store and Dublin Petco doesn’t sell fish at all anymore. The Dublin/Pleasanton/Livermore area definitely needs a fish store. I just mail order as much as possible although I support and spend money at Aquatic Collections or Neptune when I make the trip out there.

All About Fish in Pleasant Hill closed a few months ago when the owner retired.

There was a place in Brentwood I forget the name of that closed a few years ago, don’t know the story.
It was Brentwood Reef Supply. The owner moved everything to his house then ended up selling everything off.

As far as what’s still around in the East Bay from North to South (most already mentioned)-

Diablo Corals in Concord
Cali Kid Corals in Concord
Aquatic Collection in Hayward
California Reef in Newark

Multiple options in South Bay, you mentioned Neptune Aquatics in SJ already.

SJ Reef is also in Dublin off Dublin Blvd across from the sports park. Not much livestock or supplies there tho.

When I went to Connie’s and talked to the owner he said that this generation just isn’t into the aquarium hobby. That’s way he changed his business model to ponds after years of being a aquarium shop for a couple decades. Thoughts?

When I went to Connie’s and talked to the owner he said that this generation just isn’t into the aquarium hobby. That’s way he changed his business model to ponds after years of being a aquarium shop for a couple decades. Thoughts?
I pretty much heard the same story. Years ago, I used to occasionally go on saturdays to get fish while they were still in the bag. A bit risky, but I preferred it that way since I QT’d anyway. IIRC, they were 1/2 price.

I pretty much heard the same story. Years ago, I used to occasionally go on saturdays to get fish while they were still in the bag. A bit risky, but I preferred it that way since I QT’d anyway. IIRC, they were 1/2 price.
I’ve bought a few fish out of the bag also! I remember the crowd of people there in the morning to buy a fish.

When I went to Connie’s and talked to the owner he said that this generation just isn’t into the aquarium hobby.
I have been in and out of the hobby for a long time, and I don't see it really being all old people.
Our club is definitely not all grey hair types.
But I do think that buying on the internet has a huge effect.
And younger people are probably more likely to buy online, so as far as LFS customers, it might be less of the younger generation.

The hobby overall and sales in general are stronger than ever. I think it has been really rough on LFS’s the past few years with the whole retail world and our hobby in particular moving largely online. I think the successful LFS’s have adapted to changing preferences from the next generation, and if you don’t adapt you don’t see those customers anymore.

I am getting back into reefkeeping after 10 years off. I am out in the Brentwood area, I used to go almost exclusively 2 lfs that were pretty well stocked, one in Dublin, the other in Concord, both less then 45 min drive. They are both gone now . Just finding some easy softies to get my feet wet again has become quite the challenge. I guess Neptune is still around but a bit of a drive. Anything other shops around that I could check out?
So true and see above updates for LFS that are still in business. Time to connect with local reefers, especially with easy to keep corals as I’m sure someone will be more than willing to share/frag/donate. In fact last year we had a very successful frag and a dipping workshop and I came home with more frags than I brought!

I really don't like buying online if I can help it. There is so much photo-enhancing with super macro lenses and crazy lens filters. You really don't know what you are getting most of the time. I will support the local shops every time!! Unfortunately there are just not as many choices as there used to be. Thanks for all the tips guys. I just need to grow some of my stuff out and hit a few swaps. I think I will ante-up and become a supporting member tonight. Seems like a very active crew here :)

you all forgot Bay Bridge aquarium in Oakland.....

IMO kinda a messy shop but owner does QT fish and I gotta give him props for hanging in the business after moving locations during COVID....

You pay more for the fish but again he QT's them and I guess that is worth it to those who don't have a home QT setup.

you all forgot Bay Bridge aquarium in Oakland.....

IMO kinda a messy shop but owner does QT fish and I gotta give him props for hanging in the business after moving locations during COVID....

You pay more for the fish but again he QT's them and I guess that is worth it to those who don't have a home QT setup.
Corals there yet or just fish still?

Corals there yet or just fish still?
Mainly just fish. They have some coral in a big tank but it's infested with aptasia and their huge chalice was losing its flesh last time I was in. It'll take awhile and a lot of work before their salt water section is really good. I bought a pair of black storm clown fish and couldn't get them to eat anything from day one and lost them about a week or so later. I called to ask what they fed their salt fish and got this lecture about how they've never once lost any of their clown fish and they feed them a frozen mix soaked in garlic. Not going back there for awhile.

Back