High Tide Aquatics

"Giant Mini Fridge" - Red Sea E-170

Thanks for the suggestions. My motives for replacing the older AC return pump and skimmer are mostly noise and power efficiency. They are currently the 2 items that are always turned on and generate the most noise in the room. All things being equal I'd be fine with just replacing the skimmer pump with something that ran quieter, but a net newer skimmer may also have some functional/tuning advantages over the relatively ancient EuroReef ES5-3.

On another note, one of the main drawbacks to the Max E-170 is the sump placement. Because it shipped with a "power center" attached to the right side of the cabinet, the sump sits as far to the left as the door hinges will allow. After the power strip is removed (going to use an Apex anyway), this only leaves about 1 useless inch to the left of the sump and about 4.5 inches to the right. There is no way around it, my RO/DI topoff container will have to live outside of the cabinet, but I would still like my dosing containers (kalk/mag) inside with the pumps.

I found this 1.25gal container at walmart:

36458086754_b3fb462a61_b.jpg

37295909435_d879c08387_b.jpg

Seems to fit just right. When filled to the top the sides bloat a bit, but not enough to interfere.

37152492941_0ac16e4247_b.jpg

I'm a bit concerned with with the fill whole (larger white cap) leaking over time or the longevity of this setup in general. Maybe I'll have a custom acrylic container made. Or find a cabinet that can rest on the side of the other that can hold both my 5 gallon RO/DI container and several dosing containers.

Last edited:
I have spent the last couple of nights compiling data about replacement skimmers. Starting to feel like most of the available options are all the same given my sub $250 price point. I know the old EuroReef is a beast, but it's also a little power hungry by modern pump standards.

Option 1: I can try to retrofit a new pump and maybe a gate valve on the EuroReef making a franken-skimmer that will make me sad everytime I open my stand.... OR

Option 2: Help me pick a new skimmer :) (sub $250 keeps me sane)
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1xt1YUlW3jQfs5B-wbtHordgwEN-VElJcjohC59hl1WA/

Most people with red sea 170's (reefer or e) seem to use Bubble Magus Curve 5 with success. There's a DC pump version of it, though people say it's not as good and creates far too many bubbles.

I am using a Simplicity 120 DC. It's quiet, looks nice, but my tank is still only a week into the cycle so it's not doing much (dead/dry rock and sand). I've seen others with good success. it's fairly cheap and has a DC pump so you can adjust the flow, bypass, and air all at the same time. A few other people I know have it on their Reefer 170 systems as well.

I have a Skimz sn123 and it is working great. Nice and quiet and pulls out some good dark gunk. I think I got it for like 150 last year during black Friday sales at BRS.

As I get closer to finally starting the cycle on this tank (BRS dry rock shipment arrives in 2 days) I'm starting to put more thought into the logistics of having very little room in the cabinet. There is no way that my 5gal RO/DI container would fit so I just reconciled that it would live next to my tank. then I started thinking about where to mount my apex and other electronics. I've seen others use an additional cabinet on the side to mount additional gear so I started searching but couldn't find anything with the correct internal dimensions.

This weekend I was cleaning the garage and came across an old Biocube 14 I bought a couple of years ago and just stashed away. The stand seems to be a perfect fit.

37246794202_ee0df1c92c_b.jpg

The top off container fits great in the lower half and the upper half leaves more that enough room for my Apex and other things I haven't thought of yet.

36566351944_2a645e8ff7_b.jpg

I told my wife that my hoarding finally paid off. :D

Last edited:
So perfect!

For the controllers and such, you can get a marker board or something similar and cut to size. Then mount everything on the marker board so you don't have to drill into the walls of the stand. Easier to pull out to hit some buttons with (just give enough slack on the chords).

My rock has arrived! Packed very well.

36655194174_31372d1ba8_b.jpg

23512408008_b13bb7dc33_b.jpg

Time to start bleaching. I've read 10:1 for 24hrs. Sun dry, followed up with a dechlorinator for a week. Any other tips from experienced bleachers?

Last edited:
I use a few cup of bleach and when tock OS white. Soak in ro water for s few days rinse repeat and ready to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It's BRS pukani and loaded with dust, dirt, webs and other crud. Based on the following, after a good rinse, bleach seems to be a decent middle ground approach to ensuring the rock is not going to contribute to unchecked organics in the tank. But honestly, I figured it can't hurt so why not. :)

Sound good. I toss mine in a before with a few cup of bleach and let it sit until white. Then rinse a few times and let it sit in before in fresh water and then its done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My new return pump arrived yesterday.

36686354204_a36e77dae8_b.jpg

37364554262_3ffed98565_b.jpg

It comes with slip fit adapters for 3/4", 1", & 1-1/4".

[
36686354054_9496511a4c_b.jpg

I'd like to build a return manifold to run reactor(s) in the future. I'd also like to plumb in an Apex flow sensor, but they only seem to come in 1/2" or 1". The return plumbing on the E-170 seems to be ~3/4" (whatever the metric equivalent is). I'm thinking of 1" PVC from the return pump to the main distribution points (core manifold) and 1" to 1/2" reduction "T"s that feed the gate valve regulated reactor outlets. Then one more 1" to 3/4" reduction fitting to feed the display return. (this all makes sense in my head, I swear!)

Last edited:
Back