Our mission

Glass tank move April 9 Boulder Creek

Hi all,

We are getting a new glass tank, 72 x 30 x 24 (sometime mid Nov). It weighs about 600lbs. It will be delivered to our garage and the trick of course will be getting it in the house. We have small steps (about 4) up to a porch, then a narrow door (28"). We have furniture dollies, suction cups and typically also use pipes to roll the tank. We'll probably get the lift to move it onto the cabinets. There is no reasonable window access.

To get through the narrow door the tank will have to go on its side and possibly up - we don't know if that is OK with a glass tank of this size

I know we can't get any professional help (the only place I found was Sealife Aquariums, but they are not calling me back). We are in Boulder Creek. We might be able to draw on a small circle of friends or locals but our concern is they'll have no experience moving a tank of this sort, and well, these tanks are pricey. We've moved smaller tanks and acrylic but that doesn't compare to this one.

Any suggestions much appreciated, I see that some of you have experience moving such tanks.

See if you can slip a little extra $$ to the delivery crew and maybe they can move it into the house for you. Take the door(s) off the hinges to give you a little more room to get it through.

The delivery crew is only 2 people and is prohibited from bringing it into the house. It comes on a pallet with the cabinets. They only move the pallet into the garage and that's as far as it goes.

Boulder Creek is 30 min from San Jose. It is in the Santa Cruz mountains. If anyone does want to help, we can pick people up in Los Gatos for example. We are also happy to pay with $, frags, etc.

Good idea to take the door off, we will definitely do that, still it will never give us the 30" we need for the width.

Last edited:
Do you know whether the tank will be in a crate? It would be best to move it while still in the crate - as long as it’s not taller than 28”.

I’m nearby, in Scotts Valley and may be able to help although I’m not able to do much heavy lifting. When I moved my tank, I got 4 men from Home Depot for additional muscle. I also rented a material lift from A Tool Shed to lift it up to the stand (mine was less than 400lbs).

The crate is 77.15x34.5x31.3 - so a bit wider than the door and will likely not fit even with the door off.

We usually have some day workers hanging about town so that may be an option for sure - we ourselves also have had our share of back trouble so I hear you svreef. We will definitely get a material lift to move it on the cabinets, and an appliance dolly. I am waiting on an answer from waterbox as to whether we can even put it on its side.

When is this happening?
Likely the second week of Nov. The tank will be delivered sooner but we have to brace the floor since we are post and pier and this system is a lot heavier than our current acrylic system. So it's a ballpark, it's more dependent on when we can get folks out to help us when the floor is ready, if possible, rather than picking up an unexperienced daily worker crew. This is a waterbox reefer lx 270.6.

Likely the second week of Nov. The tank will be delivered sooner but we have to brace the floor since we are post and pier and this system is a lot heavier than our current acrylic system. So it's a ballpark, it's more dependent on when we can get folks out to help us when the floor is ready, if possible, rather than picking up an unexperienced daily worker crew. This is a waterbox reefer lx 270.6.
I'm in Felton and can probably lend a hand.

Ah OK. We don't discharge into the septic but rather grey water it into the yard. The plants don't seem to mind.
I would suspect that they may start to mind eventually. The salt doesn’t have anywhere to go except into the ground. When I went to a larger system I stopped doing water changes.

I would suspect that they may start to mind eventually. The salt doesn’t have anywhere to go except into the ground. When I went to a larger system I stopped doing water changes.
We get 60" of rain in the winter so it gets pretty well diluted. My husband put all his salt water on a redwood stump for a year in an attempt to kill it; happily kept on growing. We are going from a 180 to a 190 so I doubt we'll see a lot of changes.

I'm not sure about her property, but our water table is very shallow, and on normal rain years, this area gets more then most.

The crate is 77.15x34.5x31.3 - so a bit wider than the door and will likely not fit even with the door off.

We usually have some day workers hanging about town so that may be an option for sure - we ourselves also have had our share of back trouble so I hear you svreef. We will definitely get a material lift to move it on the cabinets, and an appliance dolly. I am waiting on an answer from waterbox as to whether we can even put it on its side.
You may want to consider getting suction cups to move the tank around. That way, you don't stress any of the seams. And yes, get confirmation before putting the tank on its side.

Hi guys, so the tank prep took a long time but the tank move is scheduled for April 9 in Boulder Creek if anyone is willing to help - this is a 270 gallon glass tank 30" x 6', about 600 lbs. We have large suction cups and a hydraulic cart. Any help appreciated!

Back