got ethical husbandry?

GSP control

thesassyindian

Supporting Member
Yes, I know the best way to control GSP is to never add it to the tank.

But I need help! My GSP has somehow jumped across a gap from its island to my main arch.

I need to remove the part marked in RED. How do y’all suggest I go about it?

I tried peeling it off, but it shreds into tiny pieces. I’m unable to peel of sheets as one of the forums online suggested.

Please help before it takes over the entire tank!

E92054FC-43FE-495A-94BF-F5030A36352A.jpeg

This https://www.amazon.com/Seachem-Reef...eywords=reef+super+glue&qid=1614919928&sr=8-3 is pretty cheap and you only need a little to cover an entire area. The gsp will probably be easier to peel off after you apply the gel and it dies.
I have a lot of dollar store superglue on hand - however, I have 2 reservations:
  1. My tank is tiny (13.5gal) and this much superglue might sap a lot of the oxygen off from the water column
  2. I have a feeling that the superglue will bind to the rock and create a weird GSP carcass sandwich
What do you think?

I have a lot of dollar store superglue on hand - however, I have 2 reservations:
  1. My tank is tiny (13.5gal) and this much superglue might sap a lot of the oxygen off from the water column
  2. I have a feeling that the superglue will bind to the rock and create a weird GSP carcass sandwich
What do you think?
1. You really only need a small amount--you want a very thin layer of glue over the area, any coral tissue that comes in contact will die
2. Atleast it wont be spreading. You'd have to be careful for sure to avoid a mess. Maybe start by killing off a small patch and see if you can easily peel it off.

1. You really only need a small amount--you want a very thin layer of glue over the area, any coral tissue that comes in contact will die
2. Atleast it wont be spreading. You'd have to be careful for sure to avoid a mess. Maybe start by killing off a small patch and see if you can easily peel it off.
Will do! I’ll try a dime sized patch. Thanks!

It's a small enough area. can you just cover it with a black garbage bag cut to size and rubber band it? Should be dead in two weeks.

And if you're worried about toxins (BPA), maybe put the black garbage bag (or something else that's black) in a ziploc bag and rubber band that?

It's a small enough area. can you just cover it with a black garbage bag cut to size and rubber band it? Should be dead in two weeks.

And if you're worried about toxins (BPA), maybe put the black garbage bag (or something else that's black) in a ziploc bag and rubber band that?
Ooh this sounds interesting - I might 3D print a “cap” of that shape with black PETG and super glue it over the GSP with a couple of dabs of superglue.

That way, I can easily remove it in a couple of weeks :)

Ooh this sounds interesting - I might 3D print a “cap” of that shape with black PETG and super glue it over the GSP with a couple of dabs of superglue.

That way, I can easily remove it in a couple of weeks :)

sounds a little overkill, but if it makes you happy! :)

sounds a little overkill, but if it makes you happy! :)
Well, the GSP is climbing on one of the vertical sections of an arch with a huge frogspawn on the other side. So I can’t really get a rubber band around the rock. I’ll have to think of another way to hold the plastic bag in place.

Maybe I’ll just superglue the edges of the piece black trash bag in a few spots around the perimeter.

I use underwater putty to control corals encrusting and algae patches that I can't fully remove. Cheap and easy. Just mix up a ball, flatten it out, then cover the area you want to smother out. Push the putty into crevasses to hold or add a dab of super glue.

Edit: Water Weld looks to be the same thing ^

Get one of those heavy duty black plastic trash bags and some zip ties.
Fold up and cut a piece several layers thick that covers that region.
Zip tie the plastic over the gsp.
Wait a month.
Simply snip zip ties to cut it off.
Then clean the dead crud out with a plastic brush.

Warning: It will simply spread again.
The only way to really keep GSP is for you to have a dedicated rock for it, with space around it.

Get one of those heavy duty black plastic trash bags and some zip ties.
Fold up and cut a piece several layers thick that covers that region.
Zip tie the plastic over the gsp.
Wait a month.
Simply snip zip ties to cut it off.
Then clean the dead crud out with a plastic brush.

Warning: It will simply spread again.
The only way to really keep GSP is for you to have a dedicated rock for it, with space around it.
I may go with either this method or the putty. Im
About to chop off my GSP island in half and make it smaller such that it’s further away from the main arch. That way it won’t be able to bridge across the small gap, like it did right now.

On the plus side, more space for substrate corals!

Back