Kessil

GSP

If I leave a piece of live rock with GSP on it outside in the sun for a couple of days, will that kill the GSP? Asking for a friend ...

Not so sure. A long time ago when I was at a conference at Penn State, Sanjay Joshi gave me a tour and he told me tales of zoas or palys that withstood exposure to both snow and hot summer sun there and came back on the LR. Are those super survivalists? GSP seems to have a nice protective mat.

10% bleach solution soaked for a few days will kill everything. Will even breakdown palytoxin if that’s ever a concern.

I'd like to avoid completely stripping the rock, but it may come to that. I've had the rock out of the tank several times and chiseled away the GSP covered areas with a hammer and a screwdriver. It's come back every time. This was all complicated by having a really nice Pink BTA that had its foot in a hole in the underside of the rock. Today I gingerly chiseled away the hole and got the anemone off, so now I can abuse the rock as much as needed to kill the amazing alien lifeform.

If you leave rock out for crud to die, you are best cleaning it well anyway.
All that dead stuff will cause problems if you put it back in.

Bleach kills things.
Acid/vinegar dissolves the crud and opens the pores of the rock.
Wire brush and hose cleans well.
Soaking in a bucket for a week really helps also.
Do all or as little as you want.

Back