Neptune Aquatics

H2O2 on zoas okay?I

dochou

Supporting Member
I have some turf algea growing around one frag of zoas and it's preventing it from opening up.
I tried to lightly brush it off with a toothbrush but no luck.
Can I apply 3% H2O2 directly on the frags for a few minutes to get the algea off?
Will this be harmful to the coral?

Until you see bubbles appear, I’d just do a few drop on the area.

Or just ditch the plug and use a new one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
yeah but theres algea on the actual zoas too.
I just dipped it for a minute in the peroxide. Let's see what happens.

Zoa I put the entire plug in a dip for a minute or so. LPS and other stony I use a paint brush and try very hard not to touch the frag.

I tried this on a couple zoa frags. They werent in the peroxide for more than 20 seconds. Took those frags 2 months to recover. Never doing that again

What's the longest time you've seen them close up and then finally "come back"?
24hr average for me. You can start first with a fine paint brush if you very concered to start with a full submerge. Like dipping a toe in the pool before an inevitable cannon ball.

What's the longest time you've seen them close up and then finally "come back"?

ive done this on at least 5 different frags. Two of them were actually in straight peroxide for 5 min, done in March I believe. Those two were closed for a few days to a week and maybe a baby polyp might have died but the big ones lived and now healthy and tripled in # of polyps. The half dilution method I put them in from 2 min to 10 min. I’ve done one recently about 10 days ago for 5 min bc had some green stuff covering zoa body. They open up after a few days but they look like not full. A frag given to me I’ve dipped for 2 min about 2 weeks ago to get rid of bryopsis is now back to how it was, fully open and happy looking.

ive done this on at least 5 different frags. Two of them were actually in straight peroxide for 5 min, done in March I believe. Those two were closed for a few days to a week and maybe a baby polyp might have died but the big ones lived and now healthy and tripled in # of polyps. The half dilution method I put them in from 2 min to 10 min. I’ve done one recently about 10 days ago for 5 min bc had some green stuff covering zoa body. They open up after a few days but they look like not full. A frag given to me I’ve dipped for 2 min about 2 weeks ago to get rid of bryopsis is now back to how it was, fully open and happy looking.

Wow, it sounds like the zoas are fairly resistant to peroxide and don't mind being in hypotonic solution for up 10 minutes.
Thanks for the info!
So my assumption is that they would do fine in plain water too.

This is a frag of rasta's that did well when I initially got it, but started to close up as the algea grew on it. I have bad luck with rastas.
Even after my peroxide bath there is still some algea on the body/ stalk of the zoa.

Wow, it sounds like the zoas are fairly resistant to peroxide and don't mind being in hypotonic solution for up 10 minutes.
Thanks for the info!
So my assumption is that they would do fine in plain water too.

I have read that some people do dip them in RODI as their receiving dip. I’m not one of those people.

Back