Neptune Aquatics

harlequin shrimp: Will they eat my serpent star or my brittle stars?

JAR

I have a gazillion asterina stars in my tank that I would like to cull but I don't want to kill off the serpent or brittle stars.

IME they will leave the serpents alone. But they love linkias and chocolate chips. Contrary to some opinions, they will eat your asterina stars. Good luck

My shrimps never get close to brittle star, I bet if there is an attempt the shrimp will be victim instead.

Life is easy for harlequin in the tank full of asterina, they just literally seat there and little stars keeping get into their plate, the shrimp get fat very easily.

I will need either get extra food source or give away 1 or 2 cause there are lesser and lesser asterina in my tank.

I think I would like to find a home for mine as well. Can't find too many asterinas in my main tank anymore. I'll try to catch this week for next weekend. $20 if I can catch him/her.

JAR said:

I have a gazillion asterina stars in my tank that I would like to cull but I don't want to kill off the serpent or brittle stars.[/quote]

They will eat the tiny brittles if there isn't anything else to eat. The bigger ones they leave alone. They will eat asterina fo sho!

Thanks Rich.
I think I will try to get one.
I figured the brittle and serpent stars should be able to get out of harms way.
There are sooooo many asterina in my tank that visible coraline won't grow.

My harleys are friggin pigs. I haven't seen an asterina in a very long time. 2-3 chocolate chips a month minimum.

So cool to watch them take a starfish down.

Do yourself a favor and get the hawaiian ones Jon. They are magnificent.

seminolecpa said:
My harleys are friggin pigs. I haven't seen an asterina in a very long time. 2-3 chocolate chips a month minimum.

So cool to watch them take a starfish down.

Do yourself a favor and get the hawaiian ones Jon. They are magnificent.

Maybe they could come over and play sometime. :D
why don't we schedule a play date for the kids and the harleys!:bigsmile:

Back