Our mission

Hello everyone, new to the group

BotanicalReefer

Supporting Member
Hi everyone. I’m new to the group and relatively new to long term reef care. I have an innovative marine 40 that’s been running for about 6 months. My candy canes are looking shrunken in. My Calcium and alkalinity are in acceptable parameters, and my phosphate at reading 1.0ppm. I target feed 2-3x per week. Any recommendations?? Thanks in advance all! Happy to be about of the group.!

Welcome! Could the candy cane be splitting by any chance? 2-3 feedings a week could spark a splitting/growth event. Mine tend look deflated during splitting process.

Welcome!

First, never put "acceptable parameters." While they probably are, we can often get information out of them anyway, so it really helps.

Usual concerns with those: They like lower light and lower flow.
So if you put them top-center in the tank, they rarely do well.

Phosphates seem high, could be a problem especially if Nitrates are really low. You could try GFO in a media bag in the sump, see if it helps.

Welcome! You’ve found a great spot to learn, and there are lots of people here that will be happy to help you fill up that 40g. If you’re around SF I can provide some zoanthids if you decide to become a supporting member.

Phosphate is a bit high I believe. How often do you do Water changes? 2-3 feedings a week may be too much nutrient import.

Welcome! Could the candy cane be splitting by any chance? 2-3 feedings a week could spark a splitting/growth event. Mine tend look deflated during splitting process.
The candy cane was splitting when I acquired it. But when initially got it, the frag was significantly more fluffy and full.

Welcome!

First, never put "acceptable parameters." While they probably are, we can often get information out of them anyway, so it really helps.

Usual concerns with those: They like lower light and lower flow.
So if you put them top-center in the tank, they rarely do well.

Phosphates seem high, could be a problem especially if Nitrates are really low. You could try GFO in a media bag in the sump, see if it helps.
I appreciate the helpful advice! I started running GFO last week. The candy canes are placed at the bottom of the tank.

Welcome! You’ve found a great spot to learn, and there are lots of people here that will be happy to help you fill up that 40g. If you’re around SF I can provide some zoanthids if you decide to become a supporting member.

Phosphate is a bit high I believe. How often do you do Water changes? 2-3 feedings a week may be too much nutrient import.
Thank you! I’d love to get some new zoos. How do I become a supporting member? I think my phosphate and nitrates are high. Phosphate: 1ppm, nitrate: 20ppm. I do water changes of 25% every 2 weeks. Perhaps I’ll increase and reduce feeding. Thanks a lot!

Thank you! I’d love to get some new zoos. How do I become a supporting member? I think my phosphate and nitrates are high. Phosphate: 1ppm, nitrate: 20ppm. I do water changes of 25% every 2 weeks. Perhaps I’ll increase and reduce feeding. Thanks a lot!
Here’s the link to info on supporting membership. Highlights for me are access to club equipment after a few months of membership, access to the buy sell trade section where members feed each other’s reef addiction with fair prices on equipment and home grown corals, and access to events. With Covid we have been having online events via zoom. We recently had Rich Ross speak and will be having another zoom event soon.

I would want someone else to chime in on your nutrients, I’m learning it myself and I have a different focus with my tank that requires different nutrient levels. But to lower your phosphate you could also use gfo instead of water changes. It seems like your nitrates are in a good range and phosphate seems a little high. But like I said, I’d like someone else to chime in on that.

Consider making a tank journal. I use mine to post what I’m doing and get peer review from reefers with way more experience than me.

Welcome to the group!
It’ll be helpful to know
- Alk(API reef testing kit reads 9dKH, Hanna checker reads 149ppm).
- CA(500ppm)
- NO3(20ppm)
- PO4 (1ppm)
- how consistent the numbers are during the time you’ve had this coral
Also, do you have a photo of it?

Attachments

• 14E2B8B3-1764-43A8-BC74-93F2D931B8DA.jpeg
    14E2B8B3-1764-43A8-BC74-93F2D931B8DA.jpeg
    55.4 KB · Views: 211
I can also sell you some zoas, just made 50 or so frags yesterday

Nitrates seem ok. Phosphates definitely high.
But that usually affects SPS far more than softies, so I am a little skeptical that is your problem.
Any cyano or algae problems?

I notice what seems to be a colt coral next to it.
Those can get into chemical warfare with other corals right next to them.
I would suggest separating them a bit. Perhaps running some carbon as well.

Do you have any other nutrient removal?
Chaeto in fuge? Algae Scrubber? Vodka dosing? Tons of live rock?

In my experience early in the reefing journey when I had 20ppm NO3 candy canes didn’t do well at all. 1ppm PO4 seems high also. Could be just those two parameters or combination of things like @rygh said chem warfare. It would be good to change one thing at a time and wait a week or two to see how that would help/not help. First thing you could easily try is to move that away from other corals and run activated charcoal. Wait a week. If that doesn’t seem to help, lower nutrients a bit slowly by skimmer (if not already installed) and/or refugium/algae scrubber or other means. Your zoas and softies seem happy so that’s great!!!

Are your PO4 and NO3 values the same they were when the candy cane last looked inflated and healthy? I tend to think on the side of things going well (could be splitting - it still looks as though it hasnt completed ripping the split apart) before starting to think things are going poorly, especially if you do not have a ton of knowledge of the values before deflating.

Back