Our mission

Hello! New to the forum, but not the bay :)

Hello all!

Just wanted to briefly introduce myself to the group; I hope to be more involved soon! A little about me and my history:

Been doing saltwater tanks for years now (I think I started in HS....a disaster and special thank you to my parents for that so long ago LOL) and currently have 2!

I have a 20 gallon reef tank with mostly softies, too much GSP and only one Clownfish at the moment (just had my geometric hawkfish pass away after 3 years :( ).

Truth be told, I've put that one in "maintenance mode" because my other one is a 10 gallon coldwater tank (with a small sump)! I've had this one setup for about a year and have some Giant Green, Aggregating and Strawberry anemones in there, as well as 3 catalina gobies and a few snails! I've been devoting my resources to this one for awhile now and has been my favorite pet project to date! I try to keep my Instagram (@coldwater.reef)

Here's a few photos of the CW tank, if you're interested (and the entire build thread on Nano-Reef):

IMG_9436.JPG
IMG_9238.JPG

IMG_2137.JPG

Also, a bit of a shameless plug here, but I actually developed a website/app for Fish Compatibility! You know those sucky charts you have to check to make sure your fish don't hurt each other? Well I made that, but with a much easier to understand UI! Check it out at FishHarmony.com, or Fish Harmony on the App Store :).

Anyway, hope to attend a meetup or two and make some friends :D Happy reefing!

Welcome to BAR. Nice to see a cold saltwater tank. Catalina gobies have such intense coloration. Where do you purchase livestock?

@tankguy thank you!

@glee Thanks! Well the gobies I ordered off of LiveAquaria since it seems that they already keep them at lower temperatures. All the anemones except my most recent ones I got from hobbyists up in Oregon who collect locally. My newest ones I actually got from AquaSD, which were mislabeled (but they kept them at 72F and are doing well in 63F, which is what I keep the tank at).

@MolaMola Yes! Usually coldwater tanks are pretty nutrient heavy and thus will have a larger tank, and mine is no exception. Everything is pretty resilient despite having extra nutrients for hair algae to run rampant (I remove it like once a month or so). I've been trying to increase my biological filtration and need to get a new skimmer; the Slim Skim Nano is too tall for my current sump, so it's pretty useless. I'm considering actually getting rid of my reef and focusing on the CW tank (depends on if the wife will let me get a bigger tank than 20G LOL)

Happy to answer any and all questions though!

@Flagg37 I actually use a 1/15th JBJ Arctica chiller all year 'round. It's rock solid and pretty energy efficient. The tank never really fluctuates temperature at all! Would not recommend a coldwater without a chiller, it's pretty much a nonstarter. I tried powering this one with one of those tiny IceProbe ones, but those are only good for like...pico tanks.

Back