Our mission

Help with green turf algae

Having a outbreak of green turf algae in my tank right now. Not too sure what happened,
Its not hair algae, my turbos aren't eating it.

I had this happen to me before in my past tank, but I cant remember if i gave up the battle or beat it.

Anyone got suggestions how to deal with it?

I'm dosing daily with nopox with phosphates and nitrates 0 or very close to 0. Should I dose more to starve it out? Also have a brand new bottle of phosguard that I've been itching to try..

Here's another thread on algaefx that actually mentions good results against Turf Algae

http://www.3reef.com/threads/algaefix-marine-by-api.109784/

I recommend algaefx as a last resort. Recommend reading the reefcentral thread to know when to stop dosing.

My memory is fuzzy but I recall everyone saying to stop dosing after like Day 14 or something? When I dosed, it killed off all my green hair algae. No bad affects on corals (LPS/SPS/Anemones) or fish. After my last dose I did notice some colorless spots on my acans but they quickly healed and my hair algae was gone :D

I've had turf algae in my tank since day one. The rock I started with had it, and I hate it. My tank spent several months with undetectable NO4 & PO4, it even out competed my chaeto which ended up dying, and it still grows. If there is anything that will take care of it, I want to know too!

The rock I grabbed from someone's tank who got broken down had this, I stuck it in another tank and dumped a ton of kalkwasser in there, like so much I couldn't see the rock for days, and it did the trick pretty well... granted I wouldn't suggest doing this on a tank with critters in it :D

I am using this as a solution...

So what’s the best snail?

It really depends on what your major concern is:

Problem Best Snails
Film Algae. Trochus, Nerite
Diatoms. Nerite, Trochus
Hair Algae. Margarita, Astrea
Cyano. Turbo, Astrea
Detritus. Nassarius, Cerith
Macro Algae Turbo, Trochus

Margarita snails are the best hair algae eaters. They have big appetites and can really clean up a tank fast. While they will also go after film algae, they prefer hair algae and will often starve if not enough is present. This is one snail I would not buy in large quantities because they will run out of food quickly. They tend to move up the glass often staying half-in / half-out of the water. They do not like warm temperatures. 76F is their max temperature for long term survival.

Maybe the femp thing is what kills them....but if the control the algea and then die after...its worth a few bucks....

Will be adding phosguard to the tank sometime this week.. just have to find time first..

It s so ugly!!
12299718_10153288149837781_1112867508_o.jpg

Look closely and see if it branches like a Fern.

Byropsis is pretty easy to identify.

Looking at your pics. Without any macro shots, I thought it was Hair Algae.

i know i'm late to the party, but that does not look like turf algae. Turf algae is really short and green, and tough to take out unless you have hermit crabs to do it for you.

What are your mag levels?

Sweet! But no need to for keeping, when then bryopsis (hopefully its that) is gone, someone else can have it

Another bar tool? haha

muhli check to see if your mag levels are low. if they are, they say higher mag will kill bryopsis.

i had what looked like what you had when i first started my tank. i raised mag levels, and started GFO. it started to turn white, and then my turbo snails took care of the rest.

Looks like turf algae to me. It gets long like that when there are no fish/snails eating it.
I grow lots of that in my algae scrubber, and have that on the pipes around it.

Big enough tank for a yellow tang?
Otherwise, +1 on the snails above.
Astrea are a pain with a sand bottom though, keep an eye on them. They fall and cannot
right themselves all the time.

Back