Cali Kid Corals

Help with stock list

svreef

Webmaster
BOD
This is my current idea for our new tank, which is 140g DT + 35g sump. We know that inverts will be out of the question and that some corals may get munched on. We also know we'll need a good lid. For the most part, the fish are hardy and easy to care for. Most are also relatively inexpensive.

• Porcupine Puffer
  • Snowflake Eel
  • 3 Convict Tangs
  • Foxface
  • Flame Angel
  • Coral Beauty
  • Longnose Hawk
  • Blue Chin Trigger
  • Harlequin Tusk
  • Pair of clowns
  • Banana Wrasse
Is this too much for this size tank?

I'm thinking that the smaller fish will go in first (angels, clowns, hawk) with the Wrasse last and others in between.

Should I be concerned about the smaller fish being eaten by the eel?

I want to have several nems and possibly some Euphyllia, any issues with that idea?

Attachments

• Stock List (1).pdf
    592.3 KB · Views: 177
Is this too much for this size tank?
IMO, yes.

But then again stocking of fish for an aquarium is a personal experience, everyone is different in what they want in a tank. But I see at least 8 fish that get BIG, and a few medium sized fish, and a 140G tank really isn't that large.

It seems you want a rather aggressive tank, or at least the His & Hers "compromise" that leads to this. I would pick 2, maybe 3, of the larger fish that you want as your "show piece" fish, and then the rest of the smaller fish would be fine.

If those were the only fish I had to choose from, I'd get rid of the puffer, eel, tusk and wrasse, and cut the convict tangs down to 1 there's no need to have 3. Or if you really are set on 3, get rid of the foxface. With the trigger really being your showpiece fish, and the rest as "decoration" or "utility" (tangs).

Beware the two dwarfs may not play well
I would likely not do the Foxface and or the puffer. Gotta feed puffer a lot and it will then get big and it’s messy.

Beware the two dwarfs may not play well
I would likely not do the Foxface and or the puffer. Gotta feed puffer a lot and it will then get big and it’s messy.

I didn’t ask Mike about two dwarf fish and spent hours trying to get one out. It was fight club to say the least! But then again I’m on a 55. A 140 gallon may just be enough room for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And puffer will eat all of your CUC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
He mentioned that as an expectation. The tusk would eat them too.

I’ve never had a snowflake but did have a zebra moray eel. Like the puffer they will be messy. They eat a good amount and poop a good amount. For their size they don’t need a lot of space but I’d recommend getting 3” ABS or PVC pipe and fittings to make it’s cave with. I never saw mine go after any fish. I had a cardinal that swam around it’s face when he was looking for food and I was waiting for him to snap at him but he never did. Zebras are known to be the most passive and docile of the morays though so a snowflake may go after something small enough to fit init’s mouth. Rule of thumb is if an eel has fangs then they eat fish. Morays don’t have fangs.

After adopting some fish from @Twisted, the stocking list has changed.

Adopted:
  • Magnificent Fox Face
  • Harlequin Tusk
  • Powder Brown Tang
  • Flame Angel
  • Cleaner Wrasse
Left:
  • Valentini Puffer (was Porcupine)
  • Snowflake Eel
  • Blue Chin Trigger
  • Pair of clowns

I really love the look of Maroon Clowns but I know they're large and aggressive - can y'all please talk me out of them....

If you have sand, Maroons (not all) love shaking it up and creating storms. More than ten times a day.
Gold Bars are so so cool looking though. My buddy has always had them so I just admire them in his tank for my fix.

Back