Kessil

Help !?

Amigos

I noticed by purple tang I got from ed in San Jose is beginning to show a blister or wound of some sort near its eye. It’s eating well and seems to swim fine. Is this hole in the head or something else? I’ve got my biocube set up in the garage to quarantine if I have to. Not sure what to use- Furan or copper etc
Basically I’ve never used a qt before. I’m annoyed that this is happening . The tang is small and I know my 55 won’t be big enough to hold so eventually I’ll rehome or beg my wife for a bigger tank. I do tend to over feed as I’ve heard that feeding it will help it’s own system fight whatever it can catch as it is a tang. It also appears to have ich on it.all other fish are fine.
740d81add05dd1eccf0eb15d6dc18526.jpg

I have 3 flame wrasse a pair of maroons and one blenny

No aggression I can see. Any suggestions?

I’ve thought about doing a freshwater dip to see if flukes are present first before attempting a qt

da9f59358a233b72ddf8e4a881f4c701.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How long has it been in your tank? Guessing it’s HLLE.

Figure out what it is and then pursue treatment. Otherwise, it’s useless and you’re just putting the fish through more stress than necessary.

How long has it been in your tank? Guessing it’s HLLE.

Figure out what it is and then pursue treatment. Otherwise, it’s useless and you’re just putting the fish through more stress than necessary.
2. Weeks in tank. Loves any frozen food I’m soaking with garlic selecon and sometimes vita chem. Also eats nori sheets daily plenty of food

IM confused why you have a qt setup but didn’t use it? I’m also confused why you are annoyed by this? That kinda makes it seem like you feel like it’s someone else’s fault...?
Seems like I see some likely Ich spots on it. Not sure about the bigger wound. If the other fish seem ok and it’s eating I’d leave it alone if you’re not going to qt it, although That would probably be the best approach at this point. Probably do tank transfer method, then into qt for observation for a month or so.

IM confused why you have a qt setup but didn’t use it? I’m also confused why you are annoyed by this? That kinda makes it seem like you feel like it’s someone else’s fault...?
Seems like I see some likely Ich spots on it. Not sure about the bigger wound. If the other fish seem ok and it’s eating I’d leave it alone if you’re not going to qt it, although That would probably be the best approach at this point. Probably do tank transfer method, then into qt for observation for a month or so.
I didn’t think I would need the QT set up that’s why I only set it up now after I started to see signs on the fish. Got it up and running and added salt mix last night. I’m just not sure what the ailment is. However I’m guessing it’s hole in the head which I’ve also ready can be cured by good husbandry in its own.

Not blaming anyone but just asking for help. Not sure how you got that impression. Anyhow thanks

When you said you were annoyed it gave me that impression.
I kinda doubt hole in the head would show up that quickly if it wasn’t present when you bought the fish.
Do you have high nitrates?

Getting rid of ich will be tough. You'll most likely end up living with the little bastards and hoping that decent husbandry can keep them in check.

Only thing...Ich is already in the tank. So unless you treat all of the fish, and leave the tank fallow for x amount of time, those little buggers will likely show up on the tang shortly after reintroduction.

Only thing...Ich is already in the tank. So unless you treat all of the fish, and leave the tank fallow for x amount of time, those little buggers will likely show up on the tang shortly after reintroduction.

Right treating for Ich in a QT now won't do a lot. I prefer to feed heavy and let them fight them off on their own. I believe (anecdotal evidence) that once a tang has fought off an infection anyone's subsequent seem to be much less severe. There are also ways to make outbreaks down the road less severe tank-wide. A properly sized and used UV sterilizer will help. Also, an actual diatom filter may or may not eradicate Ich in tank. I haven't tried it, but I have spent many hours researching and there is good evidence they will and logically it should work.

Hi sorry that was not a call out to Ed , I was just stating more about the fish and how long I’ve had it it was fine when I got it and only started getting this way in the last two weeks so no offense to Ed at all

I’ve also read about using hydrogen peroxide to treat ich. My guess is that will kill lotta different things perhaps

I’ve also read about using hydrogen peroxide to treat ich. My guess is that will kill lotta different things perhaps

I have one of those large UV sterilizer’s the green killing machine that I used when I had my goldfish tank it’s been in my garage for about almost a year I guess I can try that

Back