Kessil

Hi Reefers

Hi Bay Area Reefers,
I am new to this hobby. I got my 14 year old son a 15 gallon tank for Christmas and before you know it, I was spending all my money on it and became addicted. I recently upgraded to a 45 G tank about 1 week ago. I have managed to keep all water parameters good since January (original tank set up) but haven’t really seen any growth to my corals. I just bought a fancy new light - Ai 16 HD Prime.

Any suggestion on how to help my corals grow and any spectrum settings you recommend for my tank are appreciated. I have attached a photo but I have the lights dimming for the evening so everything is starting to close up. I do think everyone is happy in the tank. In addition to my corals I have 2 nano clownfish, a pistol shrimp with a goby buddy, a super cute shrimp (not sure what type, red with white dots on his back), emerald crab, and other clean up crew friends.

I am excited to now be apart of this group.

Thank you!

Catalina

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 132
Welcome to the club!

For setting suggestions for the AI prime, I'd recommend the presets that Aquaillumination provides, found here: https://www.aquaillumination.com/lightsciences/signature-series . When I had that light set up over my IM Nuvo 20, I really liked the Saxby setting. I would ask what the dimensions on the tank are - the maximum coverage for an AI Prime 16HD is ~24x24", and you'll still get some shading at the edges. You may also want to take some PAR (photosynthetically active radiation) measurements, to make sure you're in the ballpark (and, if you become a supporting member, you're able to borrow one of the club's PAR meters after two months).

For what it's worth, when I had my light set up, it was ~9" over the tank and run at 65% intensity with the Saxby settings, and I was getting ~300 PAR an inch or so under the surface right underneath the light.

Regarding your tank and coral growth: what are your parameters (numbers-wise), and what do you have? Coral can grow pretty slow; I know it took my purple frogspawn a LONG time to grow more than a single head. But if everything's happy and extended, that tells you you're doing something right. Salinity's the most important parameter to keep stable, followed by alkalinity.

If you have any more targeted questions, let us know! The club's full of friendly and helpful people, and we're happy to chime in. Welcome! :)

Tank looks great. Post more parameters and coral types for help. Some corals grow fast, some slow, some may want other water parameters, so the more specific the question, the easier to help.

The Red shrimp is typically called a Blood Red Fire Shrimp

Also post your city as there are always reefers around willing to share frags.

Also post your city as there are always reefers around willing to share frags.
This. Also, there's a frag swap next month for supporting members; if you're interested in going, there's always members willing to give you the frags needed for the "entry fee".

On mobile so can't go in depth, but look at past frag swap threads to see how it works. You can (and probably will) come out of it with more coral than you know what to do with.

Welcome to the club!

For setting suggestions for the AI prime, I'd recommend the presets that Aquaillumination provides, found here: https://www.aquaillumination.com/lightsciences/signature-series . When I had that light set up over my IM Nuvo 20, I really liked the Saxby setting. I would ask what the dimensions on the tank are - the maximum coverage for an AI Prime 16HD is ~24x24", and you'll still get some shading at the edges. You may also want to take some PAR (photosynthetically active radiation) measurements, to make sure you're in the ballpark (and, if you become a supporting member, you're able to borrow one of the club's PAR meters after two months).

For what it's worth, when I had my light set up, it was ~9" over the tank and run at 65% intensity with the Saxby settings, and I was getting ~300 PAR an inch or so under the surface right underneath the light.

Regarding your tank and coral growth: what are your parameters (numbers-wise), and what do you have? Coral can grow pretty slow; I know it took my purple frogspawn a LONG time to grow more than a single head. But if everything's happy and extended, that tells you you're doing something right. Salinity's the most important parameter to keep stable, followed by alkalinity.

If you have any more targeted questions, let us know! The club's full of friendly and helpful people, and we're happy to chime in. Welcome! :)
Hi!!!
Oh! Use of a PAR Meter! Sold, I just signed up.

So, the size of my tank, I have the AquaTop and the is 21.7 X 21.7. So I am good their.

I didn’t think of the height of the light. I just measured it at is at 8” above the tank. I put my lights on at 100% all blues/purples and 15 % all other colors cause I found a YouTube video that referenced the AB+ spectrum which referenced an article. It is only at those percentages for 4 hours with a increase and decrease at both ends of the 12 hour day. But I will look into the Saxby settings. But having a PAR meter is what I really need. I figured that was the next cost.

Parameters - Taken today

Mg >1500 ppm - I lied this one in the new tank is high. I did a 1/4 salt water change yesterday and it didn’t change anything.
CA = 450 ppm
ALK = 9.3 dKH
Nitrate = 6 ppm
Nitrites = 0
Ammonia = 0
I don’t have a measurement for pH this week but last weekend at the shop it was good and hasn’t been an issue.

The salinity has been pretty consistent 1.025 specific gravity or 34. I would say my ALK is pretty consistent as well. But it is also a new tank that everyone is in. This is based on the month I have 3 weeks I have been testing.

I don’t know the names of all my corals. They tell me the names and I forget. I know I have a frog spawn which is actually giant (the guy didn’t tell me they are not friendly, I found that out after I got him home), some zoas, I think what are called zoanthids (?) a taller Zoa ? (see picture), an oragne/purple cool coral (see photo with the mystery coral near the zoa) and a coral that I love that I call my flower pot but I have no idea what it is but it looks like a flower pot (see photo but she isn’t all showy right now because it is evening time, note the cool worm hitchhickers). If you could tell me what they are I can keep them in my log book and I won’t forget.

I think that answers everything you asked. I am so excited to have found this club. I have absolutely no idea of what I am doing so I wander around the aquatic shop in awe with the hopes that one day my tank will be full of corals in a healthy ecosystem.

Thank you!!! I am looking forward to learning from everyone.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 117
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 120
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 114
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 112
Reactions: JVU
This. Also, there's a frag swap next month for supporting members; if you're interested in going, there's always members willing to give you the frags needed for the "entry fee".

On mobile so can't go in depth, but look at past frag swap threads to see how it works. You can (and probably will) come out of it with more coral than you know what to do with.
Sounds good. I am totally interested and will go if it doesn’t overlap with my scheduled vacation.

The coral I think you are calling a flower pot (first pic - red donut) is commonly called an Acan or Acan Lord because it use to be named Acanthastrea lordhowensis. It was reclassified as a Micromussa lordhowensis, but the old common name is pretty well stuck.

Looks like you are into scuba too! I just got my nitrox cert and AOW cert over the last month and would love to join for a dive sometime! If you are able to stop by Sunnyvale, I have a few frags for you and am happy to chat reefing as long as you can stand.

Looks like you are into scuba too! I just got my nitrox cert and AOW cert over the last month and would love to join for a dive sometime! If you are able to stop by Sunnyvale, I have a few frags for you and am happy to chat reefing as long as you can stand.
Yes, me and my son do scuba. We also belong to the Diver Dan Dive Club. We go to the breakwater about once a month to just stay in it. Even though there are simple dives there, there is so much to see. I think I am scheduled to be in Sunnyvale tomorrow for a doctor’s appointment and on Friday but in the mornings. Let me know if mid-day might work for you. Otherwise, I am sure we can drive down there on a weekend. I drive to Aquatic Collection from Livermore almost every weekend.

The coral I think you are calling a flower pot (first pic - red donut) is commonly called an Acan or Acan Lord because it use to be named Acanthastrea lordhowensis. It was reclassified as a Micromussa lordhowensis, but the old common name is pretty well stuck.
That wasn't my flower pot but you helped id a mystery coral (the Acan Lord) which I had put on a rock with my zoas but now it sounds like I have to move him because it needs more space, Pooh. I had no idea I could feed them so I am going to try that today. I will poat a picture of my flower pot when she comes out.

I will let you know when I go with the club. I do go regularly to the breakwater but we well need yo find you a buddy. I am pretty dialed in on watching my 14 year old who is still learning. We may be going this Saturday

Back