Kessil

High Mag

I recently switch Salt from Microbelift to Aquavitro then now Instant Ocean. I have high magnesium problem. Alk is 8.5, Cal 450 but Mag is 1500-1600. How to safely lower magnesium?

Water changes are the only realistic way.
No big hurry, a bit high Mg is no big deal.

Suggest instant ocean regular, not reef crystals for a while.
Regular IO is a bit low in magnesium.

But since you mentions IO: Was that regular or reef crystals.
If it was regular, I strongly suggest you test with a different test kit. You may not really have high Mg.

Probably only way is large water changes, it'd probably take a while (months) for it to decline by coral usage. Are you seeing a problem with any coral? How did the Mg get so high in the first place? Dosing?

I'd be inclined to say, if it ain't broke (coral look fine), ride it out and follow normal WC schedule.

Both variant of IO salt has very inconsistent parameter. There is a long thread on that on RC. My latest batch of reef crystal has 1300 mag.

Both variant of IO salt has very inconsistent parameter. There is a long thread on that on RC. My latest batch of reef crystal has 1300 mag.
Do you happen to have that thread?
From all I have read, and many years of using IO-normal, it has been very consistent. One of the big advantages.
The reef-crystals on the other hand has been problematic.

That level mg is fine. Mine is @1600+. I keep it high because I run alk at 9.5+ n Ca at 450+ to reduce the risk of precipitation if alk climbs too high.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back