Reef nutrition

High School Classroom 150Gal - tank journal

Quick update on this tank going into summer:
I hate our school Wifi.
The tank has been dark for a month now, (both literally and analytically) because the school decided to upgrade the wifi to 5Ghz, and from my understanding, both the Neptune Apex and the Reefbreeders wifi systems are 2.4 Ghz only. I am working through random tips, tricks, dongles and extenders as we speak, but wondering if anyone has tips for me out there.
Second, the tank has been experiencing a pretty severe green bloom in the water column, even with the lights off. I have dosed a small bottle of microbacter, which worked until I ran out, then the water column green bloom came back. The bloom first showed up after I added a whole bunch of dry live rock (what a dummy) so I believe it to be bacterial, silicate and phosphate based.
So I have a heading - buy a huge bottle of microbacter. Over the summer I am considering a strategy of:
1) huge water change
2) dose microbacter as listed
3) set up a UV sterilizer in perpetuity after microbacter treatment
So, about to head over to buy/sell/trade/PIF for a used UV sterilizer. If anyone reading this has a 40 watt UV laying around, hit me up!

RE Wifi: one solution is buy a cheap wifi extender/router and have it join the 5ghz network and allow things to connect on its 2.4ghz network. I'm not sure the exact model to do it, but the biggest thing would be first vet if the school's IT department is going to freak out if you do so.

RE Wifi: one solution is buy a cheap wifi extender/router and have it join the 5ghz network and allow things to connect on its 2.4ghz network. I'm not sure the exact model to do it, but the biggest thing would be first vet if the school's IT department is going to freak out if you do so.
The IT department has been about as interested in this subject as the students are in math, so I think I'll be ok lol. Trying out a dongle today that came in the mail, fingers crossed!

Quick update on this tank going into summer:
I hate our school Wifi.
The tank has been dark for a month now, (both literally and analytically) because the school decided to upgrade the wifi to 5Ghz, and from my understanding, both the Neptune Apex and the Reefbreeders wifi systems are 2.4 Ghz only. I am working through random tips, tricks, dongles and extenders as we speak, but wondering if anyone has tips for me out there.
Second, the tank has been experiencing a pretty severe green bloom in the water column, even with the lights off. I have dosed a small bottle of microbacter, which worked until I ran out, then the water column green bloom came back. The bloom first showed up after I added a whole bunch of dry live rock (what a dummy) so I believe it to be bacterial, silicate and phosphate based.
So I have a heading - buy a huge bottle of microbacter. Over the summer I am considering a strategy of:
1) huge water change
2) dose microbacter as listed
3) set up a UV sterilizer in perpetuity after microbacter treatment
So, about to head over to buy/sell/trade/PIF for a used UV sterilizer. If anyone reading this has a 40 watt UV laying around, hit me up!
I'd also dose PNS Pro Bio. Let me contact them and see if they'll donate to a school. If not, maybe they'll give me a good discount and I can buy it for you.

Update time on what has been a very active summer in my classroom:

The good:
1) I need to give a HUGE thanks to @Srt4eric for all of his help - he handed me a POND UV clarifier - who woulda thunk it! And, well, it was broken, tried to replace the bulb and am pretty sure it was a ballast issue blah blah BUT They are SO cheap compared to reef tank UV sterilizers and it cleared up my literal green muck haze in about a week!
2) Neptune apex is back online.

The bad:
I was told I need to move rooms. Into a smaller classroom. With a 150 gallon fish tank. I can hear your chuckles from here. SO, my summer project has turned into using the 50 gallon low-boy frag tank from, once again huge thanks to @Srt4eric , to downgrade into, as that tank will fit nicely in the new classroom. I have already built out the stand from 2x4's, I have a sump, and I'll be transferring over the lights (Photon v2 48) and heater to the new tank. @Cheedo was the original supplier of this tank and I'd like to thank him as well. Unfortunately I am looking at a steep climb on funding the plumbing, skimmer, overflow, for the new tank so, with permission, I'd like to offer up tank parts/ the tank itself for pennies on the dollar to attempt to recoup some of the non-funded items I'll have to be finding.
Honestly not too bummed, I have been given something to keep my hands busy this summer, being a teacher the summers can be tough if you are a workaholic like me, so I have been enjoying the rebuild and planning!

@MolaMola
Going great! I'll have to get some updated pics, but the vision is certainly coming together. My last thing I am trying to figure is some good long-term powerheads. However, the setup is currently a 50gal low-boy frag tank that is going through the new tank uglies, but snails are arriving later today! I am hoping to have the tank sps-ready by the spring. How is your setup??

Hey, fellow HS science teacher here! I keep a 75g reef in my classroom. I just completed some upgrades. I have a Jaebo powerhead you can have. I also have a nice Kenya Tree softie you can have. They are very hardy. I have some Candy Cane lps coral I’m willing to donate as well, also quite hardy. I’m in the Santa Cruz mountains area.

Hey, fellow HS science teacher here! I keep a 75g reef in my classroom. I just completed some upgrades. I have a Jaebo powerhead you can have. I also have a nice Kenya Tree softie you can have. They are very hardy. I have some Candy Cane lps coral I’m willing to donate as well, also quite hardy. I’m in the Santa Cruz mountains area.
Thanks for the offer! I bit the bullet and got some Jebao's about two weeks ago. Still fighting the ugly stage!

Thanks for the offer! I bit the bullet and got some Jebao's about two weeks ago. Still fighting the ugly stage!
How are your phosphates? I've been using GFO to help keep phosphates under control. I have an extra media reactor you can have if you want to start using GFO.

How are your phosphates? I've been using GFO to help keep phosphates under control. I have an extra media reactor you can have if you want to start using GFO.
Look into using lantham cloride to bring down your phosphates. It’s much easier, quicker and less expensive than gfo. I use PhosphateRX.

Are you at SLV?

My phosphates are actually bottomed out and I’m dosing to bring them up, cyano is my battle currently. I swore off gfo after my first tank setup had some acros stripped from dropping too quickly, now my only phosphate removal strategy is water changes. Safest option

Back