High Tide Aquatics

HOB filter?

Hello guys and gals,
I was wondering if it is possible to use a hob filter (marine land) for a reef tank. I plan on converting my fresh water tank to a reef tank. I want to pass on the sump and all those goodies, is it possible? I plan on just a pair of fish or so, along with just standard corals, nothing fancy. Right now I have a 48 54x2 halogen glo over my tanks (they are all in a straight line). Any ideas or advice would be great :eclap .

Thanks!

I use a HOB skimmer and it makes a cup 'o tea each week. Not seeing the need for my sump as much now. The lighting is where you will upgrade first is my guess. my tank is also 36g, less volume with the rock and gap at the top, 32g.

Be specific on the corals you are considering now. Tank size.

Also be ready to make changes as you get into it.

Here is a great set of videos. Andreas 72g is skimmerless. First column second row. http://www.reefvideos.com/

In my opinion, freshwater planted tanks 54 wattsx2 over a 48 is not near enough light even for a softie, shroom tank.
I wouldn't use an HOB fillter as you would with a reef. They end up being waste collection sites. Live rock actually does most of your filtration. An HOB skimmer isn't a bad idea though not necessary in a softies only tank. I like Richard use one.

I just realized I forgot to mention my tank size. It is a rimless 15g which measures 18 x 13 x 13. My lighting fixture is a 48 54x2 Halogen Glo. I have 3 tanks lined up across the 48inches of lighting (they share the light)

See the details are tricky. So two planted tanks side by side the salt? I spill a bunch of water when I am in by salt tank. I took down my planted fresh today, and it was wet all around when I cleaned the sides.

Any way to get say 30 more watts on the salt tank in addition to the light there? I am too new to be suggesting, but that would be the minimum I would try to have corals growing.

I have not had a system that small. Will weekly 3g water changes be healthy? Someone nano?

What kind of bulbs are you using in that 54x2 setup right now?

Weekly water changes should work as well as the HOB. Not familar with what size that HOB filter is, but certain ones are large enough to grow chaeto as well as hold some live rock rubble.

I ran a 80g softie tank with a Marineland HOB and 2 x 48" actinic and 2 x 48" normal output fluorescent, all double overdrive for a few years.

80.jpg

Also had a sump on this with a Seaclone pseudo skimmer.

Back