Jestersix

How do you tell if a tank is SPS ready

I have had my tank for about 3 months, and i'm pretty sure it's not ready for SPS, but how do I tell? Is there some kind of sign, or is it just a certain amount of time?

When your tank is stable. Some folks with a lot more experience than me are going to comment there's no specific time and they would have one ready in just a few months. They probably can because they know what a stable tank looks like and acts like, but for those of us with just a few years in and constantly have "aha!" moments and realizing how little we know I suspect following the advice of the traditional time-frame is worthwhile. That advice is at least six months and I'd argue that it should be at least six months of stability -- and then start slow. Stability means regular checking of CA, ALK and Mag and charting that until you've had months of no swings among other things. Once you decide to start then don't so what I did and go buy tons of SPS fgrags. That's sure to cause swings. Slow and steady wins this race. All that being said a lot of it depends on your tank as well. I have a 120 gallon mixed reef that had been set-up for a year and struggled with SPS.

However, I also set-up a 25 gallon SPS only frag tank with no sand or rock and was successful with most SPS withing a couple of months. For the record, a lot of the difference has to do with my lighting choices on both tanks.

Yep, look for stable parameters and go slowly.

It's an old but true cliche. Nothing good happens fast in reefing.

When you think you are ready, start with a frag of digitata, capricornis, or green slimer. Let it/them grow for a while, and get a feel for what it takes to maintain your alk and magnesium.

Alk will be the quickest to change, and Mg easy to overlook until it becomes a problem. Check and balance your Ca to the others. Ca is less fussy.

I placed a frag of Mike's green slimer after a 2 month cycle of my 200+ gallon system. Doing well so far. I am sure that volume plus Prodibio bacterial supplementation is helping stability.

Couple more questions that lead to an answer....
1) When was the last time you checked Calc and Alk?
2) What kits are you using?
3) What's your plan to dose/Kalk/etc?
4) Can you keep your temperature stable within just a couple of degrees? How are you doing it?
5) How often do you check salinity and does it vary?

Back