Jestersix

How long can sw stay in a container that is usable (the water not the container)

L/B Block

Supporting Member
How long can mixed sw stay in an almost sealed container (small hole for hose at top) for the purposes of auto-water changes?

I am thinking 30 days? So I can do this once a month and be done with it and reduce maintenance time on the tank.

Also should it be circulated lightly from becoming stagnant? This may be challenging given the lack of outlets..

L&B

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depends on the salt mix.
Some have a lot of organics.

I have an auto-water-exchange, with a 150G or so barrel. Not totally opaque.
I simply fill it when it gets a bit low, about 50G once a month.
I have never drained it. No problems. Been a year or so at least now.
I do have a tiny powerhead in it. But I may switch that to an air bubbler.
Hard to get to the powerhead for maintenance. And aeration may be a bonus.
I use plain instant ocean salt.

We used to have about 90 gallons ready, two separate containers; just kept the water circulating with no issues. Was done in the basement, cool temperature and most of the time lights off. Water would be in there quite a few weeks, was always nice to just grab the mixed sw instead of doing the whole mixing and water change in one day.
The plus side of Danner Mag pumps is the heat they produce, water was at nice temperature for a quick water change.

From what I've been looking up the past few months it absolutely depends on the mix. If it's a basic mix like RC and it's stored properly then long periods are fine, but higher end salts that have a lot of organics and trace elements only a few days. After a few days they begin to leech out some of their elements. I first looked into this when I noticed that Fritz salt was losing ALK steadily after the first few days it was mixed.

Depends on the salt mix.
Some have a lot of organics.

I have an auto-water-exchange, with a 150G or so barrel. Not totally opaque.
I simply fill it when it gets a bit low, about 50G once a month.
I have never drained it. No problems. Been a year or so at least now.
I do have a tiny powerhead in it. But I may switch that to an air bubbler.
Hard to get to the powerhead for maintenance. And aeration may be a bonus.
I use plain instant ocean salt.
I can't remember if I already asked you this...are using DOS pump for auto water change?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back