Our mission

How many is too many?

How many clown fishes are too many for a tank?

Planning on keeping diferent breeds... will it be a problem?

I kept 4 from the same species and they killed one of them... was wondering if they are from different breeds they leave each other alone.

[emoji848]

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Depends on the species and size of tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Ocellaris and maroom.. I had maroons in the past and they kinda agreesive. But was curious about it.

It will be on my new 40g.

Marrons have the priority thou.

Maroons will eventually harass the ocelarris to no end. Especially if you get a pair.

Be warned that putting 2 maroons together does not always end in a pair. More often than not, it ends with a single.

If you want to do just a harem tank you can do different "types" of ocellaris, but you cannot do Maroons. I'll repeat -- you cannot do Maroons with any other species -- not even a Maroon harem tank unless you want to recreate fight (and die) club. However, I think even a 40 gallon is too small to do a harem tank. You can try about a dozen in one (along with Nems) and it will certainly be fine for about a year and then you'll just have to see. Other than that though stick with two.

Just my two cents - I wouldn't even put a pair of Maroons in a 40 gallon community tank.

If you want to do just a harem tank you can do different "types" of ocellaris, but you cannot do Maroons. I'll repeat -- you cannot do Maroons with any other species -- not even a Maroon harem tank unless you want to recreate fight (and die) club. However, I think even a 40 gallon is too small to do a harem tank. You can try about a dozen in one (along with Nems) and it will certainly be fine for about a year and then you'll just have to see. Other than that though stick with two.

Just my two cents - I wouldn't even put a pair of Maroons in a 40 gallon community tank.
Got it.. thank you. I will rethink the options then. I think the matrons are going on the 90g then, and the ocellaris on the 40, since they are already pair up.

Maroons will eventually harass the ocelarris to no end. Especially if you get a pair.

Be warned that putting 2 maroons together does not always end in a pair. More often than not, it ends with a single.

Thank you [emoji16]

Maroons are A Holes. You’ve been warned. Not as bad as my cinnamon clown I had in my first tank though. That guy was real mean.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

One of my 2 first fish was a tomato clown, she was a mean beeyotch too, some years later I introduced a tiny other clown, and there was some chasing and beating up and eventually I saw the "submissive stance" and was like YES! Made me so happy to pair them up, they laid quite a few egg clutches (none of which I was prepared to hatch), good times. Then one day a shitty decision on my part in a system design and a shitty fish donated to BAR introduced marine velvet into my tank, which wiped out that clown, and a bunch of other fish...

Just make sure the maroons ARE a pair. Some shops will just put 2 maroons together and call it a pair. This will usually end with only 1 left.
@xcaret actually gave me two clowns he had.. beautiful pair of maroon clowns with yellow stripes. They are still very shy and not coming out that much, but they are eating just fine. The 40g will be for them pretty much, no more clowning around with other clowns in the tank [emoji23][emoji848]

One of my 2 first fish was a tomato clown, she was a mean beeyotch too, some years later I introduced a tiny other clown, and there was some chasing and beating up and eventually I saw the "submissive stance" and was like YES! Made me so happy to pair them up, they laid quite a few egg clutches (none of which I was prepared to hatch), good times. Then one day a shitty decision on my part in a system design and a shitty fish donated to BAR introduced marine velvet into my tank, which wiped out that clown, and a bunch of other fish...
That sucks! I have had really good luck, even fish from the Clement store in San Francisco were happy and healthy!

Back