Kessil

How to frag a sponge

cwolfus

Past President
OK, this may sound a little silly, but...

Are there any tricks to fragging a sponge?

I've had my live rock for years and some cool sponges have grown on it. One, in particular is a cool pastel blue and about the size of half a tennis ball. I'd like to prop it, and have a good scalpel. Do I just cut, like I do for all my softies? Or are there tricks?

Thanks,

C

Oooh... neat :D

I think you can just take a scalpel to it, or even just tear it.

Sponges are famous for reassembling/reorganizing. Just don't get it air bound.

Exactly, do everything under water. Also, some peoples skin can get very irritated when contacting some sponges or sponge infused water (like after a fragging session) so I'd recommend gloves. That's, of course, only a recommendation, not necessarily what I would do.:D

I love blue sponge but I can't find a healthy one at the store. If there is one they want an arm and leg for a small piece :( ..

This one is not like the ones I have seen in the store. Its shaped like a mound over the rock, not a finger. And the color is more pastel than the finger sponges.

C

Interesting read so far. Might have a go at fragging a purple sponge.

D2X_6214.jpg

That's what it looked like when I started. Now it's a bright flourescent purple and rivals any of the purples that I've seen in encrusting montis.

Actually came from 6th Avenue. :D

I really love the shape of it so I jumped on it when I was there for some Astreas. Only the back edge of it has maintained the rose coloration. The rest of it is a flourescent purple. It has lost some tissue however since the algae got to parts of it.

I'll get another shot of it to show the new colors.

I got a blue sponge that I got from Max at mermaid a while back. Its living well, but doesn't grow much. Never fragged it though.

Sounds like the typical sponge. I've got a patch of black sponge that doesn't seem to grow at all; I love the way it looks on the rock.

I've tried a couple of times and have never had a lot of success.

On top of that, it seems like you have to duplicate the lighting and nutrients to get the same growth results in another tank.

The next time I try, I'm going to put a rock next to an existing sponge and hope it will grow on the new rock. Then, I can try to separate it, leave it in the same place in order to ensure it continue to grows, and then try to place it in another tank.

Best of luck,

Roy

Back