Reef nutrition

I am ready to frag the "Darth Maul"

I was very fortunate to received this from DBTC-X last year from Tubeman and the Frag has grown into a 2" diameter, now am ready to frag it and put it back into DBTC-X as second generation, please let me know what is the best way to frag Chalice? I've been using the Dremel with mixed result. Since this is a very rare coral, I want to make sure am doing all the right thing and find a good home for the next gen. Thanks

Good luck Tom, I have no problem if you choose the recipient based on whether or not they will travel with their saw (cough, cough, Ian, Bryan...)

Good job BTW, that sucker is a slow grower and temperamental, I almost lost mine in the move :p

Are you going to the swap? If so, I know at last years swap they did some fragging, maybe you could ask someone with one to bring it along.

Tom are you going to the frag swap? Karson asked if I could bring my saw on saturday. We could frag if up there if you'd like.

Be super, super, super, super careful fragging it, it hates to be fragged, I'm about 50/50 in regards to survival post fragging. I'm not saying it can't be done, just make sure to rinse real good and pack in real clean water.

Iani, that is very cool of you but Bryan has offered his saw earlier so I will be at his house before the swap to frag it.

Tubeman, mine has gone through a lot of abuse so it should be fine ... I hope :D it doesn't have the dark color like in the picture yet so I am trying out different lighting position. Right now it is sitting at the bottom of the tank, I might try slightly shaded area for the red and black to come out more. what is your experience?

ModernReefKeeper said:
tuberider said:
.... that and a LOT of food (no target feeding though).

can you explain this? what type of food free floating stuff, like rotifers? or??
ty in advance

Good question. I feed a blend of RN products, rotis, Arcti Pods, Oyster Feast, along with Chroma Plex and I throw in various stuff like Cyclopeze, Phyto Feast, pellets and mysis randomly to mix things up. IME target feeding=bad unless the polyp size is large like an Acan for example, they can eat whole pellets if used sparingly, otherwise the coral just pukes up a load of food with out getting any nutrition out of it, add to that the energy used to start digestion and you have a net loss of energy.

I look at it this way, corals evolved to feed on small items over the course of time, not catch a fish and mack on it like a snake. So that said I try and feed small amounts over the course of time and give the corals time to feed, I really think a lot of my success growing coral rapidly has to do with that approach, not just lighting and good water quality.

Did I mention I love Reef Nutrition™ products :)

I fragged this coral again and one piece is going back into DBTC third gen, I'll bring it to the swap for mister president :D

My experience with this coral is low light, low flow. When frag this coral, it is best to dip the frags and the mother colony in iodine solution for about 10 minutes to help disinfect and heal the cuts. This coral is very sensitive to fragging so using a Diamond bandsaw is the best.

Back