Our mission

I came home to one less fish

I was gone for 2 1/2 weeks on a work trip. During that time, I had two different people take care of the tank for me doing the easy stuff like feed and clean the glass. After 1 1/2 weeks, I heard back that the person didn't see my newest friend a little firefish. I thought it was peculiar because it's been sighted every time previously, despite being shy. It was never found again. I came home yesterday and still didn't see it. I was done doing my maintenance and took a step back when something caught my eye. Upon investigating, I found my firefish. Outside of the tank. In an open cabinet that holds my ATO water. The thing got out sometime between March 22-24 and I got home Mar 31. It had only been in the main tank since March 11, when it graduated from quarantine. I was gone more than I was home having this little guy. I'm still curious what happened because there is a lid on my tank. Maybe it jumped out during a feeding or during glass cleaning and the person didn't see or hear. Maybe they forgot to put the lid back on although they would never admit to that.

I'm just sad, what a senseless reason to lose a living animal. I know I'm not the only one.

Sorry for the loss. I once found a fish on top of my lid. Jumped straight through a seam in the frame and tank and died right there an inch from the water. On the lid.

Back