High Tide Aquatics

I need help finding the basic tools for fragging? Any help would be great.

Guys, I been looking into of purchasing some tools so I can start propagating some frags. I'm looking for tools involve with cutting, trimming, safety equipment like gloves and mask. Well maybe I give you guys an idea what I want to do. I want to frag such corals like mushroom, zoanthids, button polyps, and something like frogspawn. Can ypu show me some kind tools and where to get it?

I've picked up tools and supplies from MarineDepot.com and BulkReefSupply.com that are great. You can also get some quality cutters and chisels, etc from places like walgreens and Home Depot.

OK, let's go down you list:
Softies
Shrooms and polyps require you to dislodge a small amount of rock with the coral. This helps with gluing to a new piece of rubble. (Yes, rubble NOT disks. I'll explain later.)
You will also most likely need to cut the binds between polyps to separate out a small piece.
So.....
You need a razor blade. Nothing fancy, just one of the simple single edge jobs from HD that you buy in packs of 10+.
You need a pry tool. Personally I like cuticle pusher/cleaner. You can get these at local beauty supply stores. They are stainless steel and have two good ends for getting under the rock and breaking a little off. Here's a link to one online so you know what I'm talking about:
P_327121_1410308.GIF

http://www.bodytoolz.com/IBS/SimpleCat/Product/asp/hierarchy/0001/product-id/327121.html

LPS (Frogspawn/Hammer/Trumpets)
You could go buy some nice stainless tools, but they are expensive and unnecessary. A decent pair of dikes (wire cutters) works fine here. Just remember to rinse them and dry them when you are done. I've had good luck with a pair of Craftsman precision cutters. They are small but strong. Best of all they are cheap. And, you can also use them around the house if you make sure to clean them well afterward.

MISC
You need glue! I use superglue gel or IC gel depending on what is available. You can also use Loctite or any version of superglue copy. They are all cyanoacrylate and do the same thing.
Now, for the LPS you need something with more strength. I use superglue to get it "set" and then support it with Loctite 5-minute epoxy or Auqamend. Personally I like the Loctite but I can't always find it. I hate the fact that Aquamend takes 20 minutes to set.
Gloves....what are you? A Pansy? If you have any open cuts cover them with tape and wash your hands after cutting the zoos. Gloves are useless in my opinion.
Eye protection...Since I got zoo juice in my eye and had to go to the doctor I am I big advocate for safety with zoos. BUT...I hate safety glasses. So, I bought a cheap pair of yellow lens sunglasses for $5. You aren't trying to stop a flying nail, just juice when you cut them. If you get it in your eye mix up some home made saline solution or just buy some at the drug store and keep it on hand. Don't rinse your eye with tap water. If you must, then go ahead but you want saline solution.

Rubble vs. Plugs/Disks
If you've read my posts on the subject I am a HUGE fan of rubble mounted frags as opposed to disks. Man made disks NEVER sit in the tank right while a round piece of rock can always find a nice crevice to fit in. You can but plastic frag disks like I have to mount them on OR just buy some 3/8" square acrylic rod from TAP. I did this for a long time. Cut the rod down to 3/4" lengths and glue the rubble to it with superglue. Then, when the glue is dry (which it can do under water) you can glue your frag to the rock. You can get a LOT of rubble from small piece of live rock. I just have live rock sitting in my sump. When I need a piece I either grab an available small piece or a pull out a rock, wrap it in a towel, place it on the concrete and smack it with a hammer. Instant frag plugs. I rinse of the dust, use the piece or pieces I need and put the rest in the sump for later. Double bonus here is the rubble helps with the filtering of the tank AND can be used for fragging.

I hope this helps. I'll summarize:
Wire cutters
Cuticle pusher/cleaner
Superglue GEL!
Loctite 5 Minute Epoxy (Aquamend)
Cheap sunglasses
3/8" Square Acrylic rod cut to 3/4" lengths
Live rock for smashing into rubble sizes

Total should be less than $40 and you're ready to get started fragging.

[quote author=Dyngoe link=topic=6454.msg82890#msg82890 date=1235108831]
A decent pair of dikes (wire cutters) works fine here. [/quote]

A MUCH! better answer than mine.

You are the first person I've heard in many years call wire cutters 'dikes'. I grew up calling them dikes and for the past 10 years or so anytime I used that name people looked at me like I was crazy. Glad to hear I'm not the only one. ;D

... and I second the using of rubble instead of frag plugs.

Yeah, that's a word that raises a few eyebrows here and there. In certain circles I'll edit my speech (sucks that I have to do it but it is the times we live in). I still think back to Robin Williams in Good Morning Vietnam when I need a dose of "reality":

The Mississippi River broke through a protective dike today. What is a protective dike? Is it a large woman that says "Don't go near there! But Betty- Don't go near there! Don't go down by the river!"... No, we can't say "dyke" on the air, we can't even say "lesbian" anymore, it's "women in comfortable shoes.

BTW, I like the suggestion of a good chisel. But mine are sharpened for carving wood and I'd never chip an edge on a piece of rock. Now, a used cuticle pusher I swiped from my wife, that's a frag tool if ever there was one. ;D

Thanks a lot for your help dude. I try looking for these stuff. Thanks man. One more thing, are Zoas deadly? everyone told me to use gloves and face protection, I'm like getting miss info whether it's safe or not. So what's the deal?

Look up zoatoxin or palytoxin and you'll find a lot of info on it. It can make you sick but not like a black widow in any sense. Just, don't get it in your eyes, swallow it or get it in any open wounds. If you do you may get ill or, like me, get an irritated eye. But, don't worry too much about it, just use common sense. Treat it like bleach. you wouldn't wear gloves to use bleach but if you got it in a cut, in your eyes or mouth you'd rinse it out. If you felt bad in the morning you'd go see a doctor. It won't kill you and may never affect you but treat it with some care to avoid some possible discomfort.

Also, if you have small children, make sure you wash everything that got in contact with the zoo so it doesn't get in their mouth. I won't even handle my kids until I've scrubbed my whole arms and changed my shirt.

**edit** I should have also said not to boil zoos. ;)

These look great too.
http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~category~Dissekt_Rite_Ultimate_Coral_Fragging_Kit_Saltwater_Aquarium_Supplies_Maintenance_Coral_Propagation_Tools~vendor~Dissekt_Rite~SearchStr~propagation~action~view~idProduct~DR1313~idCategory~FIMTCP~tab~2.html
http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~category~Dissekt_Rite_Specimen_Forceps__10_inch_Saltwater_Aquarium_Supplies_Maintenance_Coral_Propagation_Tools~vendor~Dissekt_Rite~SearchStr~propagation~action~view~idProduct~DR3117~idCategory~FIMTCP.html

Back