Neptune Aquatics

Ideas - sump in basement?

vissen319

Supporting Member
I am trying to collect some ideas on what I can do to make it better for my reef tank. I currently have an aquatop 40 gal with stand. All about 22" or so. I am not planning to drill my current tank (not sure whether it is tempered or not but it is irrelevant to me since I am not drilling it). So, I am going to use a HOB overflow either way.I also realized that in the long term, it will be a pain to get ATO, dosing containers etc. I also plan to put in an APEX at some point. So, I am somewhat convinced that plumbing a basement sump may be the best way to go.

I have decent amount of space in the basement underneath my display tank. I am not planning to upgrade my current tank now due to physical constraints in my house.

- what do you think of this? Is there anything in particular that I need to pay attention to? I know about humidity but my basement is pretty well ventilated and I can put an exhaust fan if needed.

That said, what size would you recommend for the sump? I would like to have a refugium section etc.I am not limited on acrylic. I can also buy a glass tank and silicone acrylic baffles in place.

Any feedback is welcome!

My first thought is this sounds like a major project, and I wouldn't skimp on the tank. When planning for a long term reef, the tank is actually a very small portion of the overall cost. Tanks that are pre-drilled work best for plumbing and don't have to be crazy expensive.

Something like this comes to mind near your current size. This could also be the opportunity for your dream tank, and a dream tank can be a 60 gallon cube.

If you are truly set on a hang on back overflow type filtration system, there are workarounds, but they simply don't look as nice or work as well.

If you are rimless, you can use something like this.

Or if you have a rim, you can construct something like the guy in this video.

My opinion though? Just get the right tank for your space.

For sump size, the minimum size is enough to hold all of the water during a power outage. There is almost no downside to having a bigger sump outside of needing to produce more water initially and if you want to a big water change. Acrylic is nice for your sump because then you aren't cringing every time you drop a rock or pump in the sump, hoping you don't hear glass shatter.

Happy to answer any more questions or discuss any other opinions!

Last edited:
Just curious why not put a small sump under your current tank cabinet? Sounds like a lot of work for a 40 gallon with basement sump. People do basement sump are for much larger tank. You really don't need a big sump 10-15 gallon for your set up is more then enough. You also need a very strong head pressure pump pushing water from basement to your tank.

+1 on a basement sump not making that much sense for a 40G tank.

Opinion: Sump should be at least 1/3 size of main tank, but larger makes everything easier. Mine is about 1/2.
So 15G is about right.

Noise from overflow to sump from water dropping 10 feet can be a concern.

My first thought is this sounds like a major project, and I wouldn't skimp on the tank. When planning for a long term reef, the tank is actually a very small portion of the overall cost. Tanks that are pre-drilled work best for plumbing and don't have to be crazy expensive.

Something like this comes to mind near your current size. This could also be the opportunity for your dream tank, and a dream tank can be a 60 gallon cube.

If you are truly set on a hang on back overflow type filtration system, there are workarounds, but they simply don't look as nice or work as well.

If you are rimless, you can use something like this.

Or if you have a rim, you can construct something like the guy in this video.

My opinion though? Just get the right tank for your space.

For sump size, the minimum size is enough to hold all of the water during a power outage. There is almost no downside to having a bigger sump outside of needing to produce more water initially and if you want to a big water change. Acrylic is nice for your sump because then you aren't cringing every time you drop a rock or pump in the sump, hoping you don't hear glass shatter.

Happy to answer any more questions or discuss any other opinions!
Thanks for the info! I do not plan to upgrade the tank now due to budget and space but I will do it at some point. My next upgrade will be a 100 gal. So, I will plan it properly.

Sorry I did not give enough details. That is what I plan to use - the aqualifter pump and HOB over flow. Good thing is that my tank is rimless.

Good point about the acrylic v/s glass. I cracked one this way :)

Just curious why not put a small sump under your current tank cabinet? Sounds like a lot of work for a 40 gallon with basement sump. People do basement sump are for much larger tank. You really don't need a big sump 10-15 gallon for your set up is more then enough. You also need a very strong head pressure pump pushing water from basement to your tank.
Yes, I have a 15 gal acrylic sump and am currently working on it. I just thought about the basement sump yesterday to get more space and make water change easier.

I did think about the return pump. It will have to be a big one.At least 10 ft overhead.

Nice meeting you yesterday!

+1 on a basement sump not making that much sense for a 40G tank.

Opinion: Sump should be at least 1/3 size of main tank, but larger makes everything easier. Mine is about 1/2.
So 15G is about right.

Noise from overflow to sump from water dropping 10 feet can be a concern.
good point about the noise. I was thinking that it wont be too much of a problem since it is an unfinished basement.

My main concern at the moment is how do i get enough space to put dosing containers, apex etc.? I have only 22" by 22" footprint.

Get a small cabinet next to it or something like that?

My main concern at the moment is how do i get enough space to put dosing containers, apex etc.? I have only 22" by 22" footprint.

Get a small cabinet next to it or something like that?
It was nice meeting you as well.
Yea a lot of people just buy Ikea cabinet that match your current one and sit it side by side for extra equipment.

How is the temperature in the basement. Is it kept at the same temp as the rest of the house? If not you could see a large increase in the cost to heat the tank.
This is a great point. That face of the house runs warmer and the sump was planned to be just underneath it. However, the basement (as a whole) runs about 5-6 degrees cooler because it is not insulated.

Drill baby drill (if you go sump in basement). It wouldn’t be worth the cost I’m of fixing holes i the floor someday to me I don’t think. (Don’t ask how I know). It was worth it to me to add a sump and 3 frag tanks below, for just a sump...probably not.

Drill baby drill (if you go sump in basement). It wouldn’t be worth the cost I’m of fixing holes i the floor someday to me I don’t think. (Don’t ask how I know). It was worth it to me to add a sump and 3 frag tanks below, for just a sump...probably not.
Yeah that makes sense. I should probably upgrade the tank at some point. It is more practical.

Put sump under the tank.
Put all other dosers, auto top off, water exchange, whatever, in the basement.
You can run 1/4 RO lines long distances very easily.

---

I will throw a crazy thought out there : Buy a new tank with a built in overflow.
If you are getting serious about a reef tank, the cost of a new tank is a tiny fraction of overall cost.
Get a reef ready tank to start with and it will save you a ton of hassle.
Plus, while a 40G tank is fine for coral, it is really limiting on fish.
Pop over to Neptunes or Aquatic Central, and have them hook you up with a standard 55G reef ready tank and stand.

Put sump under the tank.
Put all other dosers, auto top off, water exchange, whatever, in the basement.
You can run 1/4 RO lines long distances very easily.

---

I will throw a crazy thought out there : Buy a new tank with a built in overflow.
If you are getting serious about a reef tank, the cost of a new tank is a tiny fraction of overall cost.
Get a reef ready tank to start with and it will save you a ton of hassle.
Plus, while a 40G tank is fine for coral, it is really limiting on fish.
Pop over to Neptunes or Aquatic Central, and have them hook you up with a standard 55G reef ready tank and stand.
Yeah I think that's what I am going to do. Run the sump in my cabinet and put everything else in basement.

Haha. I am trying to not get poisoned by the idea of going a bigger tank. At least not for now. Maybe by end of the year I may change my mind.

It’s easy to drill and figure out if your glass is tempered. Let me know if you want help.
Thank you for your offer. I will probably run HOB for now and switch to a bigger tank later this year or next year.

It's hard not to upgrade in this hobby. I remember that I used to have 3 freshwater tanks...and still wanted more.

Back