High Tide Aquatics

Important Stuff You Should Know!

Mr. Ugly

Past President
Well, our DBTC program has gotten pretty humongous by now :D

Here are pointers to our program faq and some history so you that don't have to search all over for them.

http://www.bareefers.org/discussion/index.php?topic=1903.0

http://www.bareefers.org/discussion/index.php?topic=829.0

Please take the time to read them so that you'll be more familiar with how it all works!

:D

I just read the "Important stuff you should know" links but still have a question about DBTC.
I joined BAR not very long ago and so far I have/will receive several DBTC frags and I am very limited in what I can put back. For now I put in frogspawn and hammer coral and that is all I have in my tank, the rest are all small frags.
I have been thinking to "pay off some of my debt" with buying a couple frags at Atlantis Aquarium and putting them on the DBTC. Can I offer just one frag of a certain type of coral or does it always have to be at least 2 or more of the same frag to avoid breaking the chain in case somebodies tank crashes?

Ok the quick and painless version of DBTC

For now I put in frogspawn and hammer coral and that is all I have in my tank, the rest are all small frags.
I have been thinking to "pay off some of my debt" with buying a couple frags at Atlantis Aquarium and putting them on the DBTC.
DBTC is not about having to have an "equal trade" that you put back into it. Not everyone has rare or exciting stuff so don't worry about that, you do NOT need to buy something just to "pay off your debt"

The DBTC "Pay It Forward" is mostly about the corals you receive, if you receive on, you grow it out when you can frag it, you do so and put back into the chain. This helps not only keep corals spread about in case something "bad" happens, but it increases the number of that coral around so there's less need to take from the oceans.

Can I offer just one frag of a certain type of coral or does it always have to be at least 2 or more of the same frag to avoid breaking the chain in case somebodies tank crashes?
You can offer as many or as few frags as you desire, every person who offers frags decides what the "rules" are going to be for that particular coral.

If you don't have anything "worthy" (and this is really a very broad and generic term), don't worry about it, for now grow out the corals you are getting, when they get of fragable size put them back into the mix for others to get, somewhere down the road if you do happen to get a little something-something and you want to put it in, then by all means, but by no means feel that you're "forced" to.

What Mike said :D

In addition to the "Pay it Forward" aspect, the other big thing about DBTC is to encourage captive propagation. So it's fine to take your time and grow out what you have, from DBTC or otherwise.

When you're able to, you frag your DBTC items to put back in the program so that others can join in on the propagation and sharing.

If you have items of your own that you have grown out and would like to put into the program, that's cool too :D

Thanks for the info guys! I guess I won't purchase any frags just to put on DBTC then. The first frags I can get from any coral, not just the DBTC frags I received but also the ones I purchased, will all go to DBTC.

Any chance to start a waiting list for the newbie (like me) :D who want to get onto the DBTC. Or am I just too slow to ask ;)

Dennis

Think it is just a matter of asking. I know when I put in rarer ones it tends to be the regulars that will be the likely winner more rare sweepstakes primarily because I want to make sure the chain doesn't get broken. More common stuff I tend to dole out to the newbies as they request it.

I think of it in my mind as a sort of credit system. IMHO, try some of the more common ones build up your rep as a good husbandry candidate and returner and you will likey be at the top of peoples list for some of the nicer pieces.

[quote author=seminolecpa link=topic=3444.msg46826#msg46826 date=1214163249]IMHO, try some of the more common ones build up your rep as a good husbandry candidate and returner and you will likey be at the top of peoples list for some of the nicer pieces.[/quote]

Good advice there :D

You've heard of street cred. This would be like reef cred :D

Back