Our mission

Increasing nitrate

svreef

Webmaster
BOD
I’ve been having STN/RTN issues lately and have been blaming my alk roller coaster a few weeks ago. But…today I did a nitrate test and it is undetectable. My feeding schedule has not changed. Should I look into dosing nitrate? What should I use?

How are your corals?
What is your phosphate level?

If corals are happy, and phosphate is very low also, I would not fix what is not broken.

The risk is when nitrates are low and phosphates are high. Cyano outbreaks are common.

Opinion: Feeding more high quality frozen food is best.

How are your corals?
What is your phosphate level?

If corals are happy, and phosphate is very low also, I would not fix what is not broken.

The risk is when nitrates are low and phosphates are high. Cyano outbreaks are common.

Opinion: Feeding more high quality frozen food is best.
Agreed, there are lots of videos coming out in the last 6 months to a year going into detail on the ratios and what they do in the tank, but your answer to feed more frozen food seems to be what the thought leaders are settled on.

I went through STN/RTN issues last months. It wipe out 30% of my sps. I try dosing nitrate but does not help, feed more does not help either. what I did was 30% water change 2 time a week for two week, then feed heavier than before. Thing are back to normal now.

SPS are not happy at all - STN and RTN for a couple of weeks now. Phosphate is undetectable as well.
I ran PhosBan for a couple of weeks to get rid of algae - and that worked.
My system has always had high nitrates - in the 20s - what reduced them? I don’t do water changes either

I agree with @H2OPlayar, a successful long term strategy could be to feed more of foods with high N/P.

Short term N dosing seems like a decent fix though, with few documented downsides, as long as P stays low as well. I've been using Brightwell NeoNitro.

I like the idea of using a refugium as a general N and P consumer, where you can dose N or P to lower the other, rather than using a medium to strip one or the other.

SPS are not happy at all - STN and RTN for a couple of weeks now. Phosphate is undetectable as well.
I ran PhosBan for a couple of weeks to get rid of algae - and that worked.
My system has always had high nitrates - in the 20s - what reduced them? I don’t do water changes either
Yikes.
So to me, that does sound like starving corals.

Do you have Chaeto or something in the sump?
If not, it can only be 2 things dropping Nitrates. Corals and anaerobic bacteria inside the live rock.

Opinion: Feed quite a bit of good frozen and fresh coral food.
Short term Nitrate addition might be a good plan also. Almost anything is fine. Calcium/Sodium/Potassium Nitrate.
But be careful!

Also, do some large water changes.
There are so many other things that you cannot measure.
No water changes is risky.

I have this exact issue right now too!
Phosphates are at 0.10ppm
Nitrates undetectable by Red Sea.

If I feed more, I risk raising phosphates even higher.

I would have gone the GFO route, but it’s nondeterministic. What are y’all’s thoughts on phosphateE?

After a 40% water change, the phosphates only dropped to 0.08ppm. (Apparently WC’s don’t drop phosphates as much as they do nitrates)

My undetectable nitrates could also be a “false” reading due to the sheer number of corals in my tank, and only 4 small fish+1 shrimp.

Last edited:
I dose Brightwell NeoNitro when my nitrate is too low and phosphate 0.1 ppm or higher, which is my most common imbalance scenario. Easy, safe, you don’t need a doser you can just dose manually since small spikes in nitrate level don’t cause issues as far as I know. My goal is nitrate 1-5 ppm and phosphate 0.02-0.10 ppm.

Most things in this hobby are nondeterministic, not sure why that is the deal breaker for GFO for you :)

I dose Brightwell NeoNitro when my nitrate is too low and phosphate 0.1 ppm or higher, which is my most common imbalance scenario. Easy, safe, you don’t need a doser you can just dose manually since small spikes in nitrate level don’t cause issues as far as I know. My goal is nitrate 1-5 ppm and phosphate 0.02-0.10 ppm.

Most things in this hobby are nondeterministic, not sure why that is the deal breaker for GFO for you :)
Oh I meant that with a liquid like PhosphateE, a measured quantity can remove a specific ppm of phosphates.

From what I’ve heard about GFO, it’s more of a trial and error to get the quantity correct, where if too much is used, we risk bottoming out the phosphates.

I wouldn't mess with Phosphate until you get nitrates up - however you do that. In my case, it was user error - I thought I had zero, but I really didn't. Once I used the low range procedure for the Salifert test kit, I found my nitrate.

Oh I meant that with a liquid like PhosphateE, a measured quantity can remove a specific ppm of phosphates.

From what I’ve heard about GFO, it’s more of a trial and error to get the quantity correct, where if too much is used, we risk bottoming out the phosphates.
As far as I know, Phosphat-E is just lanthanum chloride. This is a pretty advanced (read: lots can go wrong) approach to lowering phosphates, and a large discussion unto itself. The Brightwell directions for that product are not good, and lots of horror stories online of people following them and killing stuff. Also, their claims of a specific effect with a specific dose are oversimplified.

As far as I know, Phosphat-E is just lanthanum chloride. This is a pretty advanced (read: lots can go wrong) approach to lowering phosphates, and a large discussion unto itself. The Brightwell directions for that product are not good, and lots of horror stories online of people following them and killing stuff. Also, their claims of a specific effect with a specific dose are oversimplified.
Yeah I read a few horror stores when I was researching phosphateE.
GFO it is! I guess I have to start with a small amount (maybe a couple of tablespoons) for my tank.

I have a similar issue. Ended up dosing sodium nitrate (from Amazon) and working well so far. Maintaining ~6ppm ( assuming my test kit is accurate)

Back