got ethical husbandry?

Interesting discussion today....

Bruce Spiegelman

Sponsorship, Public Relations
BOD
I was picking up corals in the 916 (and why do they have so many more great SPS sellers there?) and there was a discussion regarding what percentage of new coral frags that you bring home do you lose in the first few months?

Nobody wants to talk about all the acros they've lost. I've wasted a bunch of money on dead acros. So my current fail rate is quite high. Hope to reverse that soon! On the other hand, my zoa and LPS percentage is awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Almost 0 loss on LPS. SPS depends on vendor. Occasionally, I will run into a source where my loss is really high, 50%. Im not sure if it's water chemistry being substantially different in those instances...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My sps losses are under 5%. Usually wild caught have trouble adapting. Frags from established tanks are about 1% loss. Maybe less. I had trouble with smooth skin 'deep' water acros but it was probably due to me fiddling with the lighting and water parameters. Very sensitive. Any change they don't like and it's almost an immediate rtn

My sps losses are under 5%. Usually wild caught have trouble adapting. Frags from established tanks are about 1% loss. Maybe less. I had trouble with smooth skin 'deep' water acros but it was probably due to me fiddling with the lighting and water parameters. Very sensitive. Any change they don't like and it's almost an immediate rtn

That's probably what it is for me as well. And as I write this, I now remember that I have a nice size CITR Red Dragon colony showing up in a couple of days....yikes.

The first Acros I got within three months of my tank being cycled, the death rate was pretty high until I figured out my coral was malnourished because of too much nutrient export - probably 50% or more.

Probably now I lose less than 5% of sps, lps, and softies. I haven't noticed any difference between wild, maricultured or aquacultured SPS.

Back