Jestersix

Interesting Find

Went to Petco yesterday and it looks they have some “assorted coral frags” lol
c2f4a642252b9c7b952f34a43e4d4634.jpg

76cb900b2ad5a66c965a93605fe19306.jpg

6a5e47df55ac2ad56b64a07dc7060537.jpg

Yeah petco bought liveaquaria awhile back so some stores have salt sections. My understanding is it can be very hit or miss depending on the fish department manager. it’s good that it can show more people the hobby, but I think it comes with a lot of negatives too.

Yeah petco bought liveaquaria awhile back so some stores have salt sections. My understanding is it can be very hit or miss depending on the fish department manager. it’s good that it can show more people the hobby, but I think it comes with a lot of negatives too.

Definitely hit or miss. Cool to see that they are probably bringing more people into the hobby by having a saltwater selection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just FYI, Petco also sold Liveaquaria to a 3rd party this year.

Definitely hit or miss. Cool to see that they are probably bringing more people into the hobby by having a saltwater selection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A lot of people consider it "rescuing" a fish if you buy it from Petco. I would definitely recommend having a good quarantine setup before purchasing a fish or coral from there.

I actually bought my first frag ever from there. It was a small zoa colony. When I first put it in my tank I thought my peppermint shrimp were eating the zoas. Turns out they were just going after the aptasia

A lot of people consider it "rescuing" a fish if you buy it from Petco. I would definitely recommend having a good quarantine setup before purchasing a fish or coral from there.
Really that just promotes their bad practices so it is better to just purchase from a vendor who follows better practices. While I agree it is nice for someone to save a fish from petsmart or petco, it just enables them to do the same thing with another fish.
It’s a vicious cycle if someone saves a fish because another will take its place and have the same bad conditions.

Really that just promotes their bad practices so it is better to just purchase from a vendor who follows better practices. While I agree it is nice for someone to save a fish from petsmart or petco, it just enables them to do the same thing with another fish.
It’s a vicious cycle if someone saves a fish because another will take its place and have the same bad conditions.

Yeah. :-/ It sucks because both my wife and I are big animal people, but it sucks because trying to help the consequences of bad animal husbandry often just increases their perceived demand for it.

And all those corals look bleached to (expletive deleted).

Back