Reef nutrition

Is this bryopsis?

Hi quick question I have some algae that started to show up cuz I started to feed a little more and my emerald crab died and wanted to see if is Bryopsis.
I eventually wanna find a pill of Fluconazole if it is and clean my 75gallon tank.

I bought like 20 extra hermit crabs that are now in my QT tank for about 3 weeks, but I have only like 6 left. Not sure the survival rate for hermit crabs was so bad.

Currently I have about 7 hermit crabs, 1 trouchus snail, 7 nasaris snails, yellow tang, coral beuty and bicolor bleny and I just added a molly, need more cleaning then this...

Also if anybody knows where I can buy 2 tuxedo urchin that have been in quarantine let me know. I really can't take waiting for 4 or 6 weeks to quarantine them...

Here are my water parameters:
TemperatureSalinityPHAmmoniaNitriteNitrateCalciumAlkalinityMagnesiumPhosphate
771.0268.2000-5430912900.1

Here are the pictures. I got in some other spots but there you can see better.

IMG_5955.JPGIMG_5956.JPGIMG_5958.JPGIMG_5959.JPG

Also I have this brownish thing that shows up on some of the corals like toadstool. But is just a little.

IMG_5979.JPGIMG_5976.JPGIMG_5977.JPG

Last edited:
Looks like normal algae to me, perhaps mixed with a bit of Cyano.
Very common.

Siphon out as possible. Consider chaeto/etc for more aggressive nutrient reduction.

I generally avoid hermits and other crabs. Trochus are great, but you need a lot more than 1.
The big Turbos eat like crazy, but bulldoze things.

The big Turbos eat like crazy, but bulldoze things.

Seconding this. I got two turbos for my 20g when I had a bad GHA outbreak and they absolutely demolished the problem. They just have no concept of their own size and knock over things a lot.

I'd still recommend trying them before chemiclean/flucanozole/etc.

YMMV but for some reason, I never really had any luck with Turbos when I had an algae outbreak. I tried to avoid hermits as much as I could but gave in and placed about 5-7 blue hermit crabs, along with other snails, and they pretty much took care of my algae problems.

Fluconazole and other algaecides will kill algae.
That can be good short term.
And very good if your algae is seriously getting out of hand, or troublesome bryopsis.

But there are some problems:
1) Algae is really a symptom, not a cause.
So you still have a nutrient problems, so it will simply come back.
2) Herbivores, such as snails, rely on it.
When it dies, they die. When it comes back, you have no snails.
3) A common replacement that shows up is Cyano.
Bacteria will start using those nutrients. And Cyano is arguably worse.

Seems nitrate and phosphate are not balanced. I would add some nitrates
The problem is that my API test kit is only showing 0, 0.25, 0.5 and up so I am not sure how low my phosphate is but I think is somewhere around 0.8, from last time that I tested with a lower test kit.

But I am not sure how should be the nitrate/phosphate balance...

Just saw to get Fluconazole from Chewy I need prescription and to order over $49 to get free shipping :D

The problem is that my API test kit is only showing 0, 0.25, 0.5 and up so I am not sure how low my phosphate is but I think is somewhere around 0.8, from last time that I tested with a lower test kit.

But I am not sure how should be the nitrate/phosphate balance...

Just saw to get Fluconazole from Chewy I need prescription and to order over $49 to get free shipping :D
Probably try the Salifert kit. Maybe someone has it and can test for you.

Back