Kessil

Is this RTN?

Just ordered SPS frag pack online. Acclimated them and did a revive dip. They went straight to the frag rack. Noticed this morning that one of the frags had some zooxanthellae brown stringy looking stuff on it. I picked it up to inspect and when it was right by my powerhead the tissue starts coming off!!! :( I look at the other frags and I see a couple more are going white from the bottom. The rest look ok. I took the rest and spread them around the tank cause I heard that it can spread if the corals are close.

Dang!!! I messed up. I think its my fault of the RTN. I dosed some dKH yesterday to bring up the pH. Also from my other thread in the other reef talk board I brought my magnesium up by hooking my ATO to the magnesium bottle. I come home from work and the freaking thing is half empty which is about how much I needed my magnesium up. I checked my magnesium and it's at 1400. 1 coral gone and 2 look like they have RTN. Now I'm really learning by my mistakes.... I think I'm gonna get a dosing pump now...

I added too much Mg and a few LPS sriveled up, SPS were OK. We're talking > 2000. May have lost some snails. No real coral losses - just a few unhappy consumers.

I don't think a shift in mag would do it, look at it this way if you take a frag from a mag depressed system and add it to a tank that has high stable mag levels the frag will thrive. You can boost cal pretty quick IME and not have problems either.

Phosphate?

Did your tank smell like death, or the shipping bag? I'm just curious. I'm going to keep asking until you answer :)

I ask because I've had bags smell like death and RTN set in within 12 hrs. And I've had bags that smelled like death, with absolutely no ill effects noted whatsoever. Either way my tank smelled like death for 24 hrs once the stuff went in post acclimation/dip. Did you save some in fragging?

I wonder if it was shipping combined with the revive dip. It may not have been all just shipping stress. Whenever you dip your coral you are introducing more stress as well. So it could just be a combination of the two.

houser said:
Did your tank smell like death, or the shipping bag? I'm just curious. I'm going to keep asking until you answer :)

I ask because I've had bags smell like death and RTN set in within 12 hrs. And I've had bags that smelled like death, with absolutely no ill effects noted whatsoever. Either way my tank smelled like death for 24 hrs once the stuff went in post acclimation/dip. Did you save some in fragging?

Haha, the bags or tank did not/doesn't smell like death.

@ian - I usually revive corals for 10 minutes. Is this too long?

Back