Reef nutrition

It’s been real:Real Talk w the BOD THANK YOU BOD!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone. I’m outta here for a bit. I’m rethinking my membership & some of the threads recently. There are a couple of things that don’t seem ok in some ways. No offense, you got my$$ but I think it’s time to move on
Susan

Hi everyone. I’m outta here for a bit. I’m rethinking my membership & some of the threads recently. There are a couple of things that don’t seem ok in some ways. No offense, you got my$$ but I think it’s time to move on
Susan
May i ask where is this coming from and what bothered you?

Since you brought it up, a little more explanation would be much appreciated so we can try to be better for the next new member. If you’d rather let us know privately, then please do so, by PM. Otherwise why bother starting a thread to tell us?

Refunding your membership is straightforward if that’s what this is about, but somehow that seems unlikely.

Susan
Susan, I'm sad to hear you sad this. Please reconcider your decision. The club should be good for everyone who enjoys reef tanks. If there is anything we can improve on, please let us know.

The only reason this club shouldn't be for someone is if they don't like saltwater tanks....
I'm not sure about this. I believe if you go check out the Bay Area Reef Central forum, you'll find dozens of ex-BAR members who have decided the club is no longer for them but continue to partake in the hobby. I'm just surprised so many people are affected by one member deciding it's not for them.

I'm not sure about this. I believe if you go check out the Bay Area Reef Central forum, you'll find dozens of ex-BAR members who have decided the club is no longer for them but continue to partake in the hobby. I'm just surprised so many people are affected by one member deciding it's not for them.
My point is that it SHOULD be for everyone who is interested in reef tanks. So many people are "affected" because we are tying to make this a welcoming place for the bay area reef family. People are trying to find out how this club can be made better.

My point is that it SHOULD be for everyone who is interested in reef tanks. So many people are "affected" because we are tying to make this a welcoming place for the bay area reef family. People are trying to find out how this club can be made better.

It does leave a bit of a bitter taste (for me because I do appreciate the club) when someone announces “hey I’m done here byeeeee” and leave no clear explanation. There are people committed to this club/relationship with other reefers. If someone decides this is not for them, that’s their prerogative, they can just stop coming to this page but to announce it and leave no clear reason seems... a bit heart aching. I guess we will get over it...

It does leave a bit of a bitter taste (for me because I do appreciate the club) when someone announces “hey I’m done here byeeeee” and leave no clear explanation. There are people committed to this club/relationship with other reefers. If someone decides this is not for them, that’s their prerogative, they can just stop coming to this page but to announce it and leave no clear reason seems... a bit heart aching. I guess we will get over it...
I agree that leaving without letting us know what went wrong is not very helpful. But that is why people are asking questions, to understand how we can improve. My point is we should be working to make this club better. Not just say "guess you couldn't hang, don't let the door hit ya!"

I think someone on BOD should reach out to this member personally via PM or preferably phone to determine what the issue was. It’s probably not helpful to post publicly in this thread about the possible reasons they decided to leave. When we have personal issues at work, we have one on one conversations instead of trying to resolve issues via text or email - where things can be easily misinterpreted. A public forum is probably the worst way to resolve the issue.

I PMed the op yesterday but did not hear yet. I really want to have a quick talk and understand why...i believe this club is inclusive and built for a wide spectrum of reefes and if someone feel its not the case, we should at least understand why.
Hopefully we can gain the OP back..

I believe she unhappy or big disagree with the way the recent sale thread dealing with dbtc coral.
That we can discuss it more and explain the club rules. I believe there was solutions and attempts to help while keeping the DBTC credibility intaked. In any event, what matter is the op openion, would love to hear it and give the club a chance to explain our point of view..

Hi Everyone.... thanks. I needed a day or so to have a clear head. I want to share with you what I sent to Will regarding my thread:

Thanks for reaching out. I just read over the new buy/sell forum rules and I am impressed by the level of detail and completeness. To be honest, this was one of my biggest concerns: How were new members like myself to know who is actually selling to promote the hobby and who sells and flips. I appreciate the BOD's attention to this matter and love that you all took members' concerns seriously. I just see the same names all the time. That may be because those members are more active, I'm too new to tell.

I think what really bothered me was the discussion around a member selling his tank and the DBTC corals that it contained. I guess I don't understand what the difference is between what that member wanted to do and the current 2 frag rule before being able to sell corals originating from DBTC. I think it is a great program, but it is also an easy way to start a coral business. If the rules are that specific, why not just a) get rid of the rule completely or b) require all frags coming from DBTC are to go back in the program. There are plenty of folks who are starting out that would love to break into corals but it is really cost prohibitive. This way the club is really building the hobby, and not supporting a start up business.

Also, it would be great with some of the available funds to go towards some non-coral club buys or equipment purchases. For example, it would be cool to have some extra (used) equipment laying around so that members could borrow the equipment in case of a failure... (I'm thinking heaters; sumps; maybe even a few tanks). Or to even have an emergency list of who can take on additional livestock in case of emergency... evacuations; fires; tank failures etc.

Finally, i think I did overreact a bit on a thread I started regarding HOB skimmers. I understand the importance of tank parameters when diagnosing problems, but I thought my question & OP was pretty straight forward.. maybe not. I am used to be in the sailing community and as a former instructor I remember too many times I went above and beyond to show my knowledge and complicated simple questions. And in my professional life I often see the differences in how men and women communicate. I'm going to take the mulligan on that one, and I sincerely apologize. I think that overall this is a great club. And I also have a lot to learn.

Again, this is coming from a newbie place, I don't want to disrespect the BOD and Staff who work hard to keep this going, especially with COVID. Thanks for listening and please keep the check, it is money well spent.

Much gratitude,
Susan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back