Our mission

IWOL's non-functional Hydras

thesassyindian

Supporting Member
Got to non-functional Hydras from @IOnceWasLegend at the frag swap this past weekend.
Hydra1 - Functional on App, but no light output.
Hydra 2 - PSU shorts out on power up.

Input Voltage: 36VDC
Image from iOS (18).jpg

Power supplies in the box:

Image from iOS (19).jpg

It can't be that simple right? Time will tell...

Right of the bat, after getting into the guys of the Hydras, it is evident that the construction of these is far superior to the Kessils I had gutted earlier.

The entire light is modular, making reparability easier and more economical. But that means, more interconnects, which also means more room for loose/no connections.

After identifying and fixing quite a few dry solder joints and 4 mis-soldered resistors and capacitors, he said, “Let there be light” !!!

IMG_7018.jpg

I mean if that's the extent of it, should be easy enough to remove, and reflow some new resistors on there.
Yeah I have to desolder the cap and check for any board / internal layer damage. That’s what happened in the Kessils. There was multi layer damage in those.

If you see closely, the trace from the cap to Pin2 of the TI driver has vaporized.

Hoping for better luck this time around :)

Yeah I have to desolder the cap and check for any board / internal layer damage. That’s what happened in the Kessils. There was multi layer damage in those.

If you see closely, the trace from the cap to Pin2 of the TI driver has vaporized.

Hoping for better luck this time around :)
I showed that to my wife. She said, "what's wrong?" I said, "I'm nowhere close to an engineer and even I can see it's not supposed to be liquefied."

That's funny, I have a ReefLED 90 light with an off brand power supply...
You've been very lucky to have driven it with a overvoltage PSU. Did you say 36/48V?

Let me know when you want to pick up the original 24V RedSea PSU from me. Alternatively, I can take it with me to work at Foster City, so you don't have to drive down as far.

Last edited:
@thesassyindian Thank you so much for doing this. It was VERY much appreciated, and I'm looking forward to popping one of these over my tank!

I'll be free this evening if you want me to swing by/to save Eric the trip up. :)
For sure!
You can pick up Hydra1 and the Red Sea PSU for Eric.

The replacement capacitor for Hydra2 will come in on Wed/Thu.

I’ll take the light and PSU with me to work at Foster City, so that will save you 20ish miles.

Back