got ethical husbandry?

Jake's 160g flat back hex

Since I've been collecting some pieces for this build, I thought it was about time to start a tank journal.

Equipment:
Tank: Oceanson 160g flat back hex
Sump: oceanic systems sump, ~ 36"x 12"x 16"
Skimmer: some sort of huge skimmer with 2 eheim pumps.

More to come soon

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 228
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 242
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 234
Do you mind me asking where you got your tank from? I like it’s compact size for a 160g. Also is it acrylic? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Wow I was not expecting so many replies already lol
Can you reach the skimmate cup to empty?

top of the cup is maybe my height or a few inches taller. I'm 6' 1" lol. Still trying to decide if I want to clean up the skimmer and use it, or just harvest the pumps

You're not going to get that skimmer dialed in. Its way too big and overkill.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Even if I plumbed my future projects into it, it still wouldn't be enough. I was told it was rated for 2000 gallons lol. Might just take one of the pumps and DIY my own skimmer body

Does anyone know what's best for getting coralline off of the glass? I already razor bladed off the bulk of everything after soaking with vinegar. I've just been scrubbing the rest with a scrubby sponge and vinegar, but it isn't working too great. This is probably my worst spot right now
image.jpg

Soak it with vinegar for longer time, don’t give up, or it will be eye sore down the road like my tank.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Even if I plumbed my future projects into it, it still wouldn't be enough. I was told it was rated for 2000 gallons lol. Might just take one of the pumps and DIY my own skimmer body
Weird skimmer. Thin neck on a really tall body, with pumps at strange spots.
Neck might be ok. Size?
If so, you could just make it shorter and reposition pumps.

Soak it with vinegar for longer time, don’t give up, or it will be eye sore down the road like my tank.

All spots will be gone before water goes into the tank, no way I would leave those there lol.
Weird skimmer. Thin neck on a really tall body, with pumps at strange spots.
Neck might be ok. Size?
If so, you could just make it shorter and reposition pumps.
Yeah Im not sure what I'm going to do with this thing. I'll probably have a better idea when I run/clean it. Either way, I couldn't pass it up for $50 XD

Back