High Tide Aquatics

Jeremiah Chua's - Nano 29 biocube reef tank

Well, I normally don't like doing tank journals, simply because after a while, I start getting lazy and stop updating. However, we'll see how long this lasts. I will try to update when things change or when I add stuff in. It's kind of fun to see before and after pics, so hopefully I keep up (Somewhat!).

In any case, I'm new here, so hello folks. I posted an introduction in the Welcome section and I had many warm welcomes from new faces and some old (Hello SFBAAPS members).
I'm just going to copy and paste what I said in my Welcome post, since it pretty much puts the gist of what my tank currently is.

"Hello everyone!
I was recommended by Neptune to check out this forum, as well as norcalreefer.org. I joined that forum first but decided to check out this one too!

I'm a big freshwater person, I love it a lot. My forte are plants (I looooove rare plants and was a huge collector). I also did a lot of nano fish, since I'm really into nano stuff. I'm not much of a big fish keeper, the smaller the better for me, haha.
Anyway, I'm keeping mainly shrimp now in the freshwater hobby. Shrimp and rare slow-growing plants. Blah blah, you saltwater people don't care about that stuff.

I'm new to saltwater stuff!
I have a nano tank, a 29 biocube. No real modifications on it, aside from taking out bioballs to throw in some liverock in there and cheato.
I plan to keep only zoas in there, they're so small and as I stated before, I'm into nano things. No plans on adding fish unless I get bored and even if I do, it's very minimal. All I want really are zoas and sexy shrimp.

So far, my tank has a small frag of blue tub's, 2 sexy shrimp, 10 blue legged hermits, 3 star astrea snaills and 6 scarlet reef hermits.
30ish lbs of pukani live rock, 40 lbs of live sand.

These pics were taken at night, so my zoa closed up. I just turned it back on in the middle of the night to watch my shrimp "

Here are the pictures I took of my new tank.
IMG_2727.jpg

IMG_2730.jpg

IMG_2729.jpg

IMG_2738.jpg

IMG_2737.jpg

I came home tonight and took a picture of my first coral, the Tub's Blue Zoa. I know it's probably a common sight for you folks but it's my first coral, so I have that gitty "de-virginized" feeling of coral introduction. Plus, it's my first zoa and my first "favorite" zoa at that! So I'm quite happy with it.
IMG_2766.jpg

Right now, I'm looking for more zoas to add. Mainly ones with good solid colors on the inside and a brown skirt on the outside. I don't even know the lingo of how to describe the zoas yet. I only know the frilly part is being called a skirt. Am I right? If not, then I've been saying it all wrong.
In any case, I found one online being called a "Sunflower Zoa" or a "007 Golden Eye Zoa" that I have my eyes on. Yellow on the inside and brown on the outside (Skirt). Looks very nice and simple. Exactly what I'm aiming for right now :) If anyone knows where I can find such a zoa, please let me know.

Oh! And I just paid for membership. Yay!

Welcome, and it looks like you're well on your road to the coral reef addiction! Your tank looks very nice and clean. Do you plan to add any extra powerhead for increased water circulation?

I am no expert on zoas, but your beautiful white sandbed might develop algae/cyanobacteria & detritus without enough water flow. I briefly had a 24 gallon planted aquapod and remember the stock circulation pump was rather weak. In my 29 gallon office tank, I have supplemented the return pump (which is a Quiet One 1200) with two Koralia K1s.

99sf said:
Welcome, and it looks like you're well on your road to the coral reef addiction! Your tank looks very nice and clean. Do you plan to add any extra powerhead for increased water circulation?

You know what, I was really debating on whether or not I should add an extra powerhead. I read on multiple threads that Zoas aren't too keen on too much current. And since this is going to be mainly zoa tank, I don't know if I should. What are your takes on it? And anyone else's opinion for that matter. I'm open to new knowledge!

Also, what exactly do Zoanthids eat? I know a majority of it is from light but I wanted to add a supplemental diet. Maybe once a week or so. I have Kent's iodine as a liquid additive so far, but nothing much else for my tank.

Thanks for the input. Right now, the outflow is making the front of my sand bed fly a little. Kind of annoying actually but it's not too bad that it's disturbingly noticeable. I may add an extra powerhead though, as time goes on. I should probably pick up a Koralia 1 when I find a good deal on it in store or on craigslist.

Nice blue Zoa.

If you are kicking up sand you could try redirecting you output nozzle. A long with adding an additional power-head a lot of folks upgrade their recirculation pumps in their biocubes.

Updated! :)

I added in 2 more sexy shrimp, another pair, last week. So I have 2 males and 2 females now.
I also got a few new zoanthids on Friday. Eagle eyes, watermelons, pink center with silver skirt, teal center with brown skirt zoas. I also got a green star polyp covered rock! :) I got the shiny metallic/neon green one. It's mesmerizing to watch.
I know most people find the GSP to be a weed but I think it looks pretty neat. I have it somewhat isolated to stop it from creeping onto my rocks. Maybe if I end up really - REALLY - liking it, then I'll let it creep.
And last but not least, I added 2 small false clowns yesterday. I know I said I didn't want fish but I decided to test them out. So far, they're pretty okay to me. I'll probably get rid of them and trade them in for something else if I get bored or sick of them though. :(

IMG_2771.jpg

IMG_2776.jpg

IMG_2774.jpg

It is cheato actually, haha. I don't have a light in my 2nd chamber yet, so I'm letting it sit in the front to get some light in the time being.
Anyone have suggestions in what kind of light to get to place in the 2nd chamber on a biocube?

JeremiahChua said:
It is cheato actually, haha. I don't have a light in my 2nd chamber yet, so I'm letting it sit in the front to get some light in the time being.
Anyone have suggestions in what kind of light to get to place in the 2nd chamber on a biocube?

Check out my tank thread: http://www.bareefers.org/home/node/2520?page=3
Just installed an "In Tank" Media Basket and Double Underwater Light in the back chamber. Then added some macro algae.

InTankStuff2-5-10.jpg

Back